32: Inevitability

Running as fast as my feet could carry me, my lungs threatened to finally collapse

Running as fast as my feet could carry me, my lungs threatened to finally collapse. I reached Everett Forest, gasping for air. Home wasn't much further—yet I wasn't quite ready to face anybody. Not after what just happened.

Catching my breath, I leaned onto a tree and tried to calm myself down.

One, two, three, four, five.

The more distance came between that strange mansion and I, the calmer my ocean became. Evening out, the waves grew tired.

Six, seven, eight, nine, ten. And finally, the water was still again.

Now, standing at a round shaped clearing, only a few kilometres away from home, I suddenly felt a tug at the back of my mind, like a scratch trying to break through the breach. Shielding myself from it, I took another deep breath and tried hard to concentrate on being focused. 

I furrowed my brows, pushing the uncertainty as far away as I possibly could.

Finally, my mind was blank and I could think. I had just completed the second stage of the bond, with someone I had never seen before. And he was human. He had to be...

A chill ran down my spine.

He was my promised. My soulmate. My other half...

Dread flowed through my entire being.

"Why?" I shouted into the sky, frustrated and angry at myself for being so pathetically weak. I should have been cool and collected when I saw him.

I shouldn't have let my emotions get the better of me. I pulled at my hair, tears suddenly running down my cheeks.

"Why me?" I sobbed, letting myself crash onto the ground. 

Completely overwhelmed by my emotions, I held onto the bark of a slim tree and closed my eyes. I hadn't cried like this in years. Realising that, I cried even more. My chest felt like it was so tight, I could hardly breathe properly. 

Hot tears burned their way down my cheeks, wetting my shirt. Though it was calm, the depths of the sea ran deep, deep into an uncharted place filled with darkness.

Tasting saltwater in the corner of my mouth, I ignored all other fluids running down my face. Why did my mother resent me? 

Why did she not love me, the way the Denn's loved Kendra? 

Why did I feel like I didn't even know Holden? Why did everything feel like it was slowly falling apart? Who was my promised? What did he want? What was he? H

ow could I ever be with someone I knew would never love me? He would never love me...

Why was I falling apart?

The magnitude of the dark depths threatened to swallow me hole, but something down there shown bright, like a pearl being hit by the light beneath the ocean's surface. A small, tiny light that seemed to shine brighter than the sun itself.