44: Blood Relations

We trotted behind Jaxxon's father for at least half an hour. Even now, closer to the human section of town, the forest still didn't become any more familiar than before. I cursed myself for not exploring at least the forest that surrounded the human and vampire section—now, it would have been highly beneficial. 

But no, I only knew the shifter part, which happened to be the same section Protector Thorne knew like the back of his hand.

When Kendra and I were far enough behind the wolf to be able to communicate without him hearing, but close enough for him to see us, I could finally share my plan with her.

Kendra, contact Dante with your mind. They're the only ones that can help us. Gods know where the Protector is leading us!

Kendra tilted her head slightly. But sharing thoughts is only possible after completion of the last stage, you know that?

I turned my head forwards again, watching the grey wolf. His movement was measured, calculated. 

He looked ready to prance at any given time.

Yes, but you've completed the second stage and therefor have an emotional connection to him. That is how far you got, right? A part of me dreaded this answer, as even though I'd of course be happy for her, I knew it meant I was losing her.

Kendra hesitated. Well. We completed stage three too...

What? She'd already kissed him?

I thought about Reagan and sighed to myself. I didn't blame Kendra... Maybe not even Dante. If anything, it could prove useful here.

Oh. Well, then actually...

Kendra sent affirmation through the temporary link we shared.

Then you can send him what you're feeling even clearer. Think about what you're feeling right now. Endangered. Frightened. Cautious. Feel it deeply and think about him at the same time. He'll find you once he realises the emotions are yours.

It was the only way we could get out of this. Someone needed to know.

But he's so far away, how on earth would he feel them from such a distance?

Kendra, have some faith. You know the promised bond doesn't measure distance, it only measures intensity. The deeper you feel it, the more he will.

Kendra nodded and I trotted a few steps further so the distance between us and the Protector wasn't as big anymore. He hadn't looked back—which was a good thing. Since I'd told Alicia what she had to do, staying at that distance might make him suspicious.

When will we be there? I asked once I was in close enough proximity for him to hear me.

We'll be there shortly, he answered and my stomach dropped.