31: Abuse

Stage one of the Promised Bond created an immense force, one that couldn't be anticipated because it varied heavily from shifter to shifter

Stage one of the Promised Bond created an immense force, one that couldn't be anticipated because it varied heavily from shifter to shifter. Some halves of the split soul could live well on their own, some couldn't. 

It depended on the strength of the connection between the two—the stronger the connection, the stronger the pull, the more intense the force.

When Kendra had first laid eyes on Dante, the force had been extremely intense. Their connection to each other even more so.

Still, it was nothing compared to what I felt.

The steel walls around my serene ocean tumbled to the ground like dust, burned and shattered. Bashed in and destroyed. Without it—the wind blew through.

And as soon as the wind touched the surface of the water, it rippled and the ripples quickly turned into waves.

The more emotions came crashing into the water, staining it in countless colours, the stronger the wind and the higher the waves.

Energy leaked out of me. My body shook, my hands trembled. My knees wobbled, barely able to hold my bodyweight. Passion stained my ocean a deep, deep red. Affection made it rose-coloured. Excitement put yellow flecks into the picture. 

Worry made it turn to a forest green.

Crashing to the man standing in front of me, the waves thrust it all out of me.

That beautiful face stared at me, reminding me of Dante. They had the same, edgy features. His however were less threatening, less hard. Whatever his name was, the man was handsome. Cheekbones stood high. He had an incredibly strong jawline and a light stubble.

His face was so symmetrical it was surreal. And those golden, honey-golden eyes. I tried with all my strength not to look at his eyes, but I couldn't. Whatever force I was reckoning with, still was, was simply too strong.

And the moment our eyes connected, it felt as if the world had suddenly fallen apart around us, and all that was whole, the only thing that was right, was us.

He didn't say a word, only stood there, holding on to the frame of the door.

His muscles were tense.

Every attempt at trying to regain my posture failed.

I heard angry voices from outside the room, but I couldn't care less. The man standing at the door overwhelmed me in every way possible. 

And then the need to kiss him, touching him and completing the Bond of the Promised washed over me like a cold bucket of water.

"Y-You," I managed to choke out, "n-n-need to—" I took a deep breath, slowly but surely fighting the storm inside me.

The battle drained me of my strength as if it were liquid, seeping out of me. It was like wringing a wet rag until it was left completely dry. After what seemed an eternity, I managed to find a tiny spark of my tranquility, stored away in the deepest parts of my being.