26: Fear

The ocean inside of me was everything but calm

The ocean inside of me was everything but calm. My ocean was never purely one emotion––but it wasn't often that the connection of multiple emotions created a storm. It worked like a magnet––the water––drawing emotions near and pulling them to the core. The force it needed to pull them in was great and drained me of my energy. 

Sometimes, just like now, depending on the cocktail of emotions, their connection to each other caused an imbalance.

Crashing waves rippled across the water, the emotions acting like converging winds that collided and turned upwards, ultimately creating a hurricane. Some emotions, warmer ones, fought against the cold ones in a dance that gave the hurricane its destructive force.

"Control yourself, Catherine," Reece growled with utmost authority in his voice, straightening himself.

Damnit. He could feel it.

I'm not strong enough.

"Please, let me leave," I croaked, squeezing my eyes shut and forcing all those feelings back behind the wall I had erected, shutting them away in a far away corner in my mind.

But it was like an impenetrable force pulled them closer and closer until finally, they would implode. My whole body shook from my internal struggle, even the bed moved. The waves kept crashing. The winds continued to collide and converge.

"Yes, go cool off."

Nearly losing the battle inside of me, I darted out of the room. The emotional hurricane was fast at my heels. I nearly flew down the stairs and ran through the corridor out onto the patio. Then, with my body shaking, I let my body break into a million pieces.

Bones split apart, grew together, elongated and shortened. Muscles tore apart and ground back together.

And then, the storm tore out of me and the hurricane shook through nature. All of my emotions poured out of me.

And so did my energy.

Once I ran out my problems and feelings, I returned home drowsily and found my brothers in the kitchen. Still slightly blurred, I could see them through the small kitchen window. Trying to remain patient—I'd come to notice that I usually lost my eyesight after using my gift more tryingly—I squeezed my eyes shut and counted to five. 

When I reopened them, my vision was slightly better.

After so many days of knowing Reece was home but hurt upstairs, the sight of him doing what he did best—cook—sent a wave of relief through me. Reece seemed better, though his movements were slow. His face contorted every time he moved. 

The rogue had put him in really bad shape. 

But I was happy that he showed signs of slowly getting stronger. Emmet's arms too were looking much better—less bent. They were healing just fine, much faster than Reece was.