40: Predictions

The question lay unanswered in the air while tension rose within the dining room

The question lay unanswered in the air while tension rose within the dining room. Without really knowing what I was doing, my eyes wandered to the man whose soul was supposed to be my other half.

Nothing about him felt like he was similar to me, not even in the slightest. He seemed so tall where I was short, so strong where I felt so weak. His strong attitude, the authority in his voice and his entire attire.

I was a follower.

And he was a leader.

How were our souls to fit with such fundamental differences?

He needed an equal at his side, someone who could lead. Who shared his authority. All I had ever done was follow...

How? How was this ever going to work?

Maybe now, with leaving Everett Valley, there would come a time where all of it might be possible. But now, in this world, it seemed unimaginable. Now, nothing was certain. And I couldn't base my life on the biggest uncertainty of them all.

And I knew it wasn't meant to be, which probably explained why we aren't alike. If that prophecy was true...

It would only bring heartache and pain. The same pain that had torn apart my family. I would rather die alone than pull innocents into a life ruled by suffering and heartache as my mother had done. With unexplained accusations. Hate and despair thrown about like it was everyone else's fault.

I would rather die alone than become her. Maybe having a promised is really more a curse than it is a gift. Just like my own gift...  

Maybe in another life, I would be able to have a promised. To have my soul be complete. But in this one, it felt impossible. A luxury that I couldn't afford.

It pained my heart to think about what I wasn't going to get, and what I was depriving an innocent of having. Reagan wasn't at fault.

I was.

"What are spell-casters, exactly?" Kendra asked, her head turning to her left where the youngest brother sat at the very end of the long table.

The sudden sound of Kendra's voice tore me out of my thoughts. I hadn't even realised that those deep golden eyes were staring straight back at me. I straightened instantly, feeling a fuzzy feeling in the pit of my stomach.

It made my entire body suddenly feel like there was a temperature rise in the whole room. I felt like it was hot. Too hot. Was I starting to sweat?

Oh goodness.

I desperately needed fresh air. This needed to stop!

The youngest brother gestured towards Reagan with a wave of his hand. The man was still staring holes straight into me, it almost made me squirm. His eyes were hard and focused. It felt like he was trying to peer into my soul. Somehow, out of reasons unbeknownst even to me, I liked how he looked at me.