17: Naivety

Holden, the only person I had ever harboured feelings for, placed his left hand on my cheek while the other touched the small of my back, pulling me closer into him as his grip tightened

 His touch felt wrong, though I pushed away that thought as soon as it snuck into my mind.

My promised didn't want me. He hadn't even noticed my presence. Maybe being with Holden was the only right thing. It had to be.

"I've missed you," he murmured into my ear, causing me to actually giggle.

"We're not supposed to be public." 

The second I uttered that statement the recollection of Kendra telling me of the fight Reece had with Holden came back to mind. 

I lowered my voice. "Especially since my brother knows now."

I glared at Holden, raising a questioning eyebrow at him. He stepped away and with him left the physical warmth that his embrace had held. He folded his arms protectively over his chest. 

Distance. 

Okay.

"That's exactly why we should be public," he said lowly, almost growling at me.

I tried to push a bit of calm into him, to soothe him and his rising attitude.

He relaxed, not taking my influence into account. He wasn't able to, that was a privilege I had only given my family members and Kendra. While my family had learned of my emotional signature by accident, Kendra was the first one I'd shown it to.

"Oh, so Reece's reaction was good? He didn't beat you to a pulp?"

Now it was my turn to fold my arms in front of my chest, raising both eyebrows at him in expectation.

Holden rolled his pale blue eyes. "You know Reece. He tends to overreact. We had a fight, I healed, end of story. I'll talk to him this week and we'll sort things out."

"Oh, of course. You'll sort things out." I snorted. "You don't know him like I do. He won't just agree to you courting me," I argued, shaking my head. 

Reece's approval is the only one I need and the only one I don't have. Why can't Holden understand what that's like?

Holden unfolded his arms and huffed. "You know, C, it seems to me that you don't want anyone to know about us."

Unsure whether laughing or crying was the appropriate reaction, I opted for the first.

"Of course I don't. Madame Esmara would shun us both. You know how the elders don't agree on shifters being together if they're not promised."

Holden dragged his hand lazily through his tousled, blond hair, flexing his bicep in the process. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a group of three human girls passing us and ogling Holden.