39: Rules of Nature

Instead of dying, it felt like my body had come alive for the first time since I could remember

Instead of dying, it felt like my body had come alive for the first time since I could remember. Everything inside me screamed for him. The bond screamed to be connected. It was a constant battle between what my heart wanted and what my brain rationalised.

But now wasn't the time for romance. I needed to get away from Everett Valley. And this man was probably going to want me to stay here. Hell, I wanted to stay here. 

Or for him to come along...

"We must discuss this now," Reagan spoke with a voice that sent tingles through all my limbs. 

It felt like little tiny waves of shock tingling all the way to my fingers.

It ripped me out of my thoughts and brought me back to the white marble table that was as wide as my entire kitchen.

I was seated on the long side of the rectangular table, with Kendra to my left. Across from us both sat a man with hair almost as black as night—that curled around the edges—and eyes as vibrant as the golden fields of grain in Everett Valley.

Beside him was Dante, his blue eyes just as intense as his brother's. There were two other guys sitting at the table.

"What issue, exactly, are we talking about here?" I asked.

Apparently, Dante was the only one of them who didn't have any patience. Unfortunately, Reagan did. And by the vibe he was emanating, he was the one in charge.

Bonkers.

"You know perfectly well what's going on, love."

I shuddered at the 'nickname' he'd given me. I hated that it caused my insides to turn into jelly.

"As I've told you before, you don't know what you're up against. Considering we haven't found all of what we've been looking for, here, our presence here is no longer necessary. Still, I know that you know things we don't. Before we leave, this too needs to be discussed. The whole situation," he said, his voice turning back to the authority-laced tone he'd adopted ever since he'd shown up in our neighbourhood. 

It was strange, seeing him like this, compared to how compassionate and soft he'd been in the woods.

He also seemed to be able to switch back between mocking me and being diplomatic within mere seconds.

It was hard to look away from his piercing eyes, but when I did, I saw Dante and Kendra staring at each other with an intensity I could almost touch.

There was a smile in Dante's eyes I had never seen before. Something between the two had happened, I could tell. After the incident at the Iarhus, they must have spoken to each other.

"What have you been looking for?" Kendra asked to my surprise, although her eyes remained focused on her promised.

I kept mine on my hands. I had to look anywhere but at him.