two-"living situations"

"GIRLS, I think we should sit down and talk about this," rebecca hipston panicked, scrambling to catch her two youngest daughters before they went up to their rooms.

"what's there to talk about mom? you cheated on dad. so much for a happy family," eden grumbled, standing a step above her younger sister.

"all i ask is for you two to sit on that couch and let me tell you the whole story. and if you're still mad- well, you're definitely going to be mad. but if you still consider it cheating, you have the right to hate me for eternity," their mother pleaded.

parker gave eden a look that read 'no' in every way, but eden gave parker a look that said 'let's just do it, maybe she'll shut up'. the two girls left the staircase and walked through the kitchen, into the family room and sat on the couch.

"good. okay," becky panicked, "we haven't been, um, completely honest with you two," she blinked several times.

"like what?" parker asked, looking from
her red jeans to her mother and fiddling with her mood ring.

"your father and i are getting a divorce," she looked down at her bare feet, she didn't want to see the looks on their faces, "well, we've been in a divorce. for about two months now."

"mom!" eden shouted, "you can't just keep things from us, especially things like this!"

"it was for your own good! we needed time for just us to think about the.. living situations," becky mumbled the last part, afraid what her daughters would say.

"what 'living situations' mom?" parker scoffed, folding her arms against her chest.

"okay," their mom breathed, "your father is planning on moving to a city in new york to be with grandma and grandpa and aunt kacey. and you guys, and ava, have to go with him," she said with a shaky voice.

"new york?! but i'm happy in the house we live in! why can't we stay here? with you!" eden was on the verge on tears. the hipstons had lived in their small chicago home their whole life, it had just enough bedrooms for everybody and a big yard. although it wasn't always the most pleasant household to be in all the time, considering the parents shouting and the kids arguing, at the end of the day they loved each other endlessly and were grateful to have each other.

"because i'm moving in with chad, and
he has kids already. we just think it'd be a lot better for you guys to stay with your father. but you'll still come back to see me sometimes, i hope," she gave a little smile towards the end.

"when?" parker spoke, a couple tears rolling out of her eyes.

"august first, about a month. you'll be starting your school year there, you'll have time to make a few friends in the summer before school starts. it'll be okay, i swear."

unexpectedly, eden stood up and gave her mom a tight hug, "thank you for trying to do what's best for us, mom. i'm gonna miss you when we move."

"i'm going to miss all three of you," becky whimpered.

AUGUST 1, 2018
6:37 AM
EDENS POV

i was leaving chicago today. i was leaving wyatt, my best friend. i was leaving my mom, my dog ozzie, my bedroom, and fourteen years worth of memories.

after saying our goodbyes to mom, my dad gave us a sad smile, "you ready, girls?"

"not really. but i guess," i climbed in the backseat of his pickup truck with parker on the other side, ava in the front seat. i plugged in my head phones and covered up with my blanket, preparing for the thirteen hour drive ahead of me.

what if the kids at my school didn't like me? was my style the same as theirs?

who were my neighbors? did i live around any kids my age?

i was so nervous. i always wished parker was in my grade, i would always have a friend to sit by at lunch or walk through the hallways with. this time i'd pay thousands of dollars to have her by my side.

i looked over to see that parker was already sleeping, so i decided to play some 8ball on imessage with wyatt.

eds
i'm already missing you:(
play 8ball with me so i don't cry

wyeeet
i'm down
also i miss you like crazy come back
8 ball: YOUR MOVE!

eds
my butts sore and i'm only two hours into this trip frick
8 ball: YOUR MOVE!
omg i did not mean to do that i suck

wyeeet
i wonder what would happen if i ran away to new york
8 ball: YOUR MOVE!

eds
8 ball: YOUR MOVE!
yk that would be amazing but i wouldn't try it considering you need adult supervision to cross the street

wyeeet
you right you right
8 ball: YOUR MOVE!

eds
ain't i always?
8 ball: I WON!
HAHAHHA BURN

wyeeet
frick you

WELCOME TO SCARSDALE, NY!

authors note!!
7/31/18 - 2:12 pm
849 words

ooo how exciting. peep the city name ;)

much love,
karleigh