Chapter 21

Magnus sighed sadly at Alec. Both with drinks in their hands. "I wasn't sure you'd come" he told the raven haired boy. I wanted to finish our conversation about your wedding"
"There nothing to talk about, I'm getting married Magnus" Alec defended.
"You and I understand marriage very differently, it's about tradition, family, honour"
"Honour. Where's the honour in living lie" Magnus asked trying to sound calm.

"What are you talking about?" the oblivious boy shot back.
"What about love? Even shadowhunters fall in love Alec" Magnus clicked his fingers, the curtain to the living room rolled back to reveal Yasmin and Ajax. Yasmin was sleeping in Ajax's chest and the male hybrid was gently stroking her hair.

Alec's face twisted as he walked toward the pair. Ajax very carefully extracted himself from Yasmin placing himself in-front of her protectively. "Not another step Lightwood" he growled. Magnus watched hoping against hope that Alec's heart would win out against his head.

A pause before Alec raised his hands. "Ajax I'm not going to hurt her. I know I made a mistake but I need to know she's ok" Magnus felt a cat like smile cross his face, Ajax also looked pleased.

He stepped aside allowing Alec to crouch down beside Yasmin. The raven haired boy gently took her hand his gaze was fully focused on the sleeping hybrid.
"She's in as bad a shape as Jace" he whispered.
"She is" Magnus agreed
"Do you know why though?" Ajax asked coyly, Magnus sent the hybrid a smirk seeing what he was doing.

"She thought she had someone back who would protect her" Alec muttered his breath was quick and shallow as he reached forward moving a strand of hair out of Yasmin's face.
"You care about her" Ajax prodded. Alec didn't answer he was too busy looking at Yasmin.
"Stay for one drink to see her through the first part of the night" Magnus suggested.

Alec jumped up quickly Ajax tensed. "You don't understand! You try to put me with her, you're doing everything you can to make sure I see her. But it's comes down to this Magnus. I could loose my family, my runes, my career! And even if I did feel anything for her, would I give up my life for her?" Alec exploded.
"You have a choice to make Alexander. I won't ask again." Magnus disappeared the curtains falling back around the two hybrids leaving Alec alone.

————————————————

Yamsin stared up at the institute, the doors seemed larger, much more intimidating than when she had last walked through them. Her footsteps were silent on the steps as she slowly approached. Magnus had returned to the apartment last night having fallen out with Alec (Yasmin had the feeling her name had been brought up in their argument) to find Yasmin sat frozen on the couch.

Ajax was holding her to his chest stroking her hair while the blond haired girl held onto his muscular arm tightly her gaze lost in her own world. She had been very fragile and it had taken both Ajax and Magnus working together two hours to extract what had happened with her father out of her. The story was told in pieces with long pauses and it had seemed to the boys that Yasmin would burst into tears or start screaming at any second.

But neither of those things had happened, Yasmin had remained in her own far off world for the whole story. They'd fallen asleep in the living room not long after she had finished her tale. Ajax and Yaz intwined in the couch and Magnus in the chair opposite.

When she had awoken in the morning Magnus was gone, a note told her he was at the institute, she had the distinct feeling that it hadn't just been Magnus and Ajax with here last night. She felt Ajax's arms furled comfortably around her.