5: The Battle Begins

"Hrm?! Little brats?? How can they do any good for this mission?" Tazuna glowered at the three kids standing in front of him and then momentarily took a sip from the bottle of beer in his hand.

Naruto sweat-dropped at the drunken man's antics, he and Sakura shared glances with a displeased frown, "Is this guy really the one... he seems so.. different from what I was imagining, dattebayo."

The hokage rested his face on his hands, nodding in confirmation, "Yes. He is the one you will escort- unless you decide to back out. You may be excused from the office now, any other questions regarding the mission can be inquired to your sensei."

The hokage went back to reading the stacks of reports on the desk. Kakashi shrugged at them and then ushered the kids out of the office. Sakura looked over to Sasuke who didn't seem to show any reaction whatsoever. Naruto huffed in frustration beside her and then came to a stop.

"Aghhhh, come on! I thought we were going to escort some celebrity, like a person of the royal family! This mission is stale, who wants to follow around a drunk guy," he spat. Naruto swerved to the side of the hallway and kicked at the wall sullenly. Sakura rolled her eyes at his childish display.

"Naruto! We've already begged enough for a higher-rank mission, this is the one chance they gave us! Hey, stop that!" Sakura gave Naruto a 'light' bonk on his noggin, making him stop to rub his head. Sasuke couldn't manage to contain his smirk at Naruto's hapless interactions with Sakura. Sakura saw this out of the corner of her eye and held back a small grin.

"Since we have to escort him all the way to the Land Of Waves, this mission will last some time, huh," Sakura said deep in thought. Sakura looked up, her expression becoming more pensive, she was reminiscing again. Naruto blinked at her, he looked up too but he only saw the ceiling.

"Huh."

~~~~~~~~~

"Today is the day...!"

Sakura got out of her bed in a flash, quickly grabbing her clothes and slipping them on. After hastily getting herself prepared in the bathroom, she ran out of her room. Sakura went so fast she didn't anticipate the steps that were waiting around the corner. Sakura let out a yelp as her foot landed unevenly on a step, her body went forward and she tumbled down the stairs. Sakura had luckily saved her self by reflex, protecting her head.

You're a high-class medical ninja for gods sake! Be more aware of your surroundings, shannaroo!!

Mebuki looked at her with concern, "Sakura... be more careful, okay? I know you have an important mission today but-" Mebuki was cut off when Sakura snatched the lunchbox out of her hand. She was already heading out the door before her mom could say anything. After running for a while, she became tired, stopping to catch her breath.

"I should get warmed up before I meet up with them." Sakura raised her arms above her head and stretched. She took a good look around her and soaked in all of the wonderful sunlight.

I have a Konoha to protect.

Sakura settled down on the grass and crossed her legs. She closed her eyes and took deep breaths. She felt her chakra moving around her body, then she proceeded to concentrate some at the center of her forehead. This has become a bit of a habit for her, ever since she became a disciple under Tsunade, she gathered her chakra everyday in hopes of obtaining the Hundred Healings Seal. Of course, she didn't have it anymore, but it wouldn't hurt to practice anyway.

Sakura opened one eye and looked at sky, the sun was almost all the way up. She got on her feet and dusted off her red dress.

I should get a change of clothes... soon.