A Horrible Cost

Nine out the ten remaining Zodiacs sat outside an office, along with Phoenix, who sat at the end with Pisces

Nine out the ten remaining Zodiacs sat outside an office, along with Phoenix, who sat at the end with Pisces. They waited nervously as Taurus was inside the questioning room.

————

"Can you please name everyone that was and is alive in your friend group?" The officer asked.

"There's Aries, me, Gem, Nye, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces, and I guess you could count Phoenix," Taurus replied.

"And how many are currently deceased, as far we know?" the officer asked.

"Three. Leo, Gem, and Aries."

"What were your relationships with those three?"

A pained look flashed across Taurus' face. "Leo was my friend. She was always really happy and outgoing. Gem was my friend too. And so was Aries. But I wasn't as close with them as I wish I was."

"How did they die?"

"Aries drowned in the pond. Leo had a branch fall on her while saving Gem from said branch. Gem was shot several times." Taurus had tears welling up in her eyes.

"Did you witness any of these deaths?"

"Only Leo's and Gem's."

The officer leaned in and Taurus could feel herself about to break down and cry. "Tell me exactly what happened to them."

"There was a branch in the forest, and it was falling to Gem still burning. Leo was nearby and pushed Gem out of the way because Gem didn't see it. But they both fell and the branch fell on Leo's neck. We couldn't get it off her in time and by the time we managed it was way too late.

"Gem was screaming that it was her own fault, and her brother was comforting her. That's when someone named Hydrus shot her in the back of the head a few times. She fell back and he shot her a few more time for good measure. She bled out and we don't know what happened to Hydrus." Tears ran down Taurus' face.

"Dismissed. Send in Nye."

Taurus walked out of the room and sat next to Nye. Before Taurus could even speak, Nye got up and went into the room.

"Hello, Nye. We're just going to ask you some
questions," The officer informed him.

"Knock yourself out or whatever," Nye grumbled.

"Which three of your friends died?"

"Aries, Leo, and Gem."

"What were your relationships with those three?"

"Aries was cool, and we were always pretty close. And Leo... Leo was one of my best friends for the longest time and then she became my girlfriend. And she was brilliant, absolutely amazing." Nye stopped talking as if reliving a pleasant dream.