Chapter 10 part 2: stained soul

Thanks for 21k reads! That's INSANEEEE. Hope you enjoy this chapter; they have been getting really wrong (nearing 4k) and that's because I'm anticipating this first draft to be very long (it's already 35k words)  and I don't want there to be too many chapters. Plus, If I were to make them shorter the descriptions wouldn't be what they are.

* * *

"Alice," Colden's voice was a murmur as she cowered in the corner of the kitchen. Death and decay filled her mouth, the taste was acidic and it had her stomach twisting and turning. He murmured her name again as he took a step closer- his hand extended to touch her skin and his eyes, wide and frantic, held her gaze. When she inhaled she knew what the smell was- fear. She smelt and tasted his fear. Alice inhaled a second time. Her eyes shut and her head began to pound.

Whatever it was that was in her, it enjoyed the taste of that fear- it was like a nectar of life. The rush of her blood registered in her ears, the pounding of her heart filled the space around them and when her eyes opened- Colden was face to face with her. She had a purpose and a task to fulfil.

"It's ok," his voice was a delicacy yet that part of her didn't like it. The darkness in her recoiled at his scent. His fingers glided down her cheek, smoothing over the cut on her skin. Her breath came out laboured as she held his gaze- afraid that she would hurt him if she moved.

But the darkness recoiled with the touch and her mind remembered the dream, how it had disappeared into thin air when he smoothed her hair and lulled her back to sleep. She had felt embarrassed that she had let him get so close. Yet when he was, that dark part of her was afraid. Afraid of what Colden brought with him.

Why?

"What am I?" Her voice came out cracked. Colden's gaze flickered against every inch of her face and he scooted closer. Her heartbeat sped up at the close proximity, the memories of their time in the club resurfaced. Rain and musk engulfed her senses and Alice's eyes closed on their own accord. He shook his head, a small frown loitering on his face. 

He didn't know any more than she did.

"That's good, that's very good," the darkness hissed, its nails clawed down her mind.

When Colden pulled his hand away, hatred filled her stomach once more. That dark part of her mind yelled and screamed at Alice to move. She wanted to move and hurt him. Her eyes flickered between his face and the knife that gleamed in the holder on the counter. One second passed, two seconds passed, three, four, five...his lips brushed against her own- soft like a feathers touch.

Alice exploded. Within a fraction of a second, her hand had wrapped around his throat and she threw him to another side of the room. Something within her snapped, her hands clutched her head as the same phrase repeated over and over. She was a slave to that voice, a slave to whatever was in her.

Kill, kill, kill.

Tears blurred her eyes as she staggered towards the door, her palms covered in sweat. The pressure inside her head increased as she forced her body to get away from the knife, away from Colden who she heard groaning in pain. Guilt sawed at her insides but whatever sanity she had was squashed by the decay that pulsed within her; she knew that if she died again, she would not come back right and perhaps, perhaps she would be too dangerous to be kept alive. But that darkness within her life and rejoiced at that thought. 

It wanted her to destroy, to inflict chaos on those wolves.

Alice reached the foyer- the double doors to the outside gleamed from the flickering lights. She couldn't stay here. Not with whatever was inside of her. The urge to leave overpowered that darkness. As her hand wrapped around the door handle and tugged, she realised that it wasn't powerful enough to do anything just yet- it wanted her to die so that it could take over.