Chapter 13 part 1: you're supposed to hate each other.

SHORTER CHAPTER THAN NORMAL

I have an interview for my A levels on Tuesday the 28th. Hopefully, I'll get in.

* * *

By the time Alice had fallen asleep, it had been well past 4 am. Her mind had been in overdrive ever since she had seen that man. The red eyes, the blonde hair...she could have sworn she had seen him before or seen something like him. But where? And who? 

When she had gone out to the hallway in search of guards there had been none in the building. It was as if they had all vanished into thin air. Yet no one had called or told her anything and so Alice had been left wondering. She was almost certain that the howl could mean one thing- a warning. But from what she didn't know.

Not long after she had fallen asleep a loud banging had echoed through the apartment. Her eyes, which were crusted from sleep and blurred from exhaustion, barely had time to open before Belle had stormed in. 

There was still animosity between them from their conversation but the paleness of her face and the way her lips were set in a thin line halted any comments she had to make. Alice bolted upright, her hair askew in all directions as Belle began shuffling out the clothes she had just packed.

"What's going on?" Her voice came out croaked and haggard. She hadn't used it in days and she could really do with a cup of coffee before she had to socialise.

"There was an intruder last night and he left a..." Belle paused with a folded shirt in he hand, "a message." Her throat visibly bobbed.

Alice didn't doubt that there was more to it. Nausea pulled at her insides. The faint light illuminated Belle's grim expression and the shaking of her hands gave away enough to know that Alice's suspicions had been correct- something had happened. She observed as her suitcase filled with clothes in rapid speed, Colden's sister not once uttering a single word.

"Get up," a pair of leggings and a t-shirt were thrown in her lap. A frown took over her face at the mickey mouse shirt and immediately her suspicions rose.

"Are we travelling?" Belle didn't meet her gaze as she gave a curt nod in reply. She watched perplexed as she tugged the suitcase out of the room and into the hallway before coming back in and urging Alice to get up once more.

She threw her legs over the bed, exhaustion pulling at her muscles. Her mind was plagued with all the possibilities of what was going on. She knew that she had seen a man with red eyes, not quite sure where, but she definitely remembered him. Alice couldn't bring herself to think about the worst possibility even though she suspected- knew- what it meant.

Lucien.

Alice didn't have the energy to protest as Belle tugged at her arm and pushed her into the bathroom on the opposite end of the apartment. She knew better than to argue- at this point, she knew that trying to solve this on her own was a losing battle. Colden had proved as much. Yet the one question remained unanswered. Why her?

What did they want?

"You have 5 minutes before we leave." The door slammed shut. It didn't take her longer than a minute to dress, brush her hair and sort her face out. Nothing would improve the exhaustion anyway. 

When she left Belle was seated on the sofa gazing out the french windows. Alice inhaled sharply, the all too familiar smell of sadness and anger went up to her nose. She noticed the tremors in her hands and the purple bags underneath her eyes.

 Alice sat down on the sofa next to Belle, unable to find the proper words to voice her questions. It was difficult for her to not argue. Every nerve in her told her to do so. But the darkness had been dormant ever since Belle left and she knew that it wouldn't do any good. She had to learn to control it and that meant not giving in to the urge to be a bitch.