Chapter 13 part 2; well bollocks.

I'm very sorry if you got a notification that I uploaded but didn't actually see the chapter. For whatever reason the chapter got unpublished and when I clicked on it, several hundred words were missing. I managed to get most of those words back though so it's a bonus. 

* * *

They had been on the road for over 20 hours. Throughout the journey, they had taken several stops, mostly for Alice as she was the only one who still functioned like a human- sleep and all. On a stop in one of the gas stations, Colden had pointed out that if she would let him complete the 'bond', as he called it, then that would change. She would no longer be partially human. She would be part wolf and whatever it was that made her so damn insane, according to Belle.

Since that time and the argument that had broken out, they had ridden in silence. Yet their words had left an imprint on her mind and a question that made anxiety bubble within her stomach; had she ever been human? Throughout her time running away from foster home to foster home, Alice focused on the fact that her humanity separated her from the monsters that killed her papa. It gave her comfort knowing that she had something they didn't. But with recent events and revelations, she started to doubt that... her black eyes, her claws, it was like she had become something similar to what they were except, in some cases, worse.  A tremor passed through her body at the memory of her reflection and the darkness that crippled her; maybe it was true, she was soulless. A real monster.

And not any better than the man that had held her papa's head.

Despite her turmoiled mind and the tension, there were no more arguments since then. The car was silent as they sped through the roads and across America at a speed that should have been illegal.  Even when the radio had broke and all you could hear was the sound of her pencil scratching against the paper in her sketchbook. And as far as Colden was concerned, he had been ignoring her.

Alice wanted to say she deserved it but really, what could she do? Colden hadn't mentioned anything to her about stopping the full moon transitions. He had yet to apologise for kissing her- when she clearly had asked him not to- and for the fact that he acted like a beast. Since the darkness within her had hidden under blankets, for the time being, the rational side of her brain also knew that she needed to apologise too. It had been wrong of her to make assumptions, and she felt awful for having hurt anyone in the first place. Yet that part of her brain also knew that if they were to prevent this from happening again, and if she were to learn to control it, then they needed boundaries. 

Especially if she was to stay with Colden. 

Her eyes caught a sign that read 'Houston.' Annoyance bubbled beneath her skin at the fact that no matter what, with or without the Alpha, she had to still move around. Life had always been unfair, or rather most of it since she had been oblivious as a child, but she didn't understand why she couldn't simply enjoy it for what it was meant to be- fun and an experience. Avoiding Lycan Kings didn't count as part of it.

A sigh bubbled past her lips and she set the sketchbook on the seat next to hers; Tom had to stay at the New York area of the pack so it was just the three of them and the handful of guards that trailed their car. It turned out that Colden was the big bad wolf of the US, not just New York, so apparently, he could do as he pleased. It was no wonder he could afford such luxuries.

She brushed her hair behind her ear as their eyes briefly met in the mirror. She raised her eyebrows at the fact that he had looked at her. After hours of ignoring her and Belle, his resolve finally broke.

Under normal circumstances- still being at the house- she would have mocked him or poked fun at his mighty seriousness, but this time when the darkness was still laying low she had no energy to. It was strange to not feel it or the burning urge to wreck chaos.