Chapter 36; His Snow White

There are five chapters left after this one!! It makes me both nervous and giddy, but I can't wait for you to read them. Anyway, enjoy ;)

* * *

The night had turned chilly the moment the Lycan had disappeared back into the shadows. Colden barely registered Tom's hand on his shoulder as the wolves shifted into their skin forms, all looking at him with expectation. Even Lorenz, despite their earlier disagreement, looked prepared to follow his command. 

He swallowed the pain and exhaustion, tugging his hand through his hair. A wince made its way onto his face, one that he struggled to hide from prying eyes. There was an emptiness inside of him, a deep and dark place where there was no emotion, no thoughts or feelings, just natural instinct to let the animal take over and destroy its way through the forests. He struggled to reign that part in knowing that there was still a chance Alice would come back. A chance but not a guarantee.

Colden met Tom's steely gaze, ignoring the worry that shone in his eyes, and sighed. "Assemble the warriors, let the stationed troops know that we'll be walking into battle come dawn."

"And the pack?" Tom murmured. 

He paused, not willing to think about the people he could be potentially leaving behind, or the fact that they all relied on him to come back. He'd get to that when the time came. But now... "I'll call Belle. I'll need you to make arrangements, though. In case things go south." In case there was an attack that they were not prepared for, is what he didn't say.

Alpha Lorenz stepped in front of him, "are you sure that this is the best decision?"

Colden gritted his teeth. He understood the man's apprehension; he had a pregnant mate to go back to, and unlike him, he didn't have someone of the bloodline to take over the pack should things take a turn for the worst. "My warriors will fight. But I won't hold it against you if you choose to back out on our agreement."

Lorenz winced, "Amelia will have my head if I leave you to your own devices."

He stifled the sigh of relief and nodded in thanks. The warriors dispersed after that; Colden went to retrieve his clothes and phone before he left to venture near the outskirts of the forest where he would find a signal. No one followed him which he was grateful for, though the loneliness that had torn through him seemed to cloud his mind more easily.

 He couldn't wrap his head around the emptiness that resided in his chest. The first time he had felt Alice die it had been like a boulder crashing into him, devouring his soul and tearing apart his mind. But now, now it didn't feel like anything but dark pain and an empty hole. If Alice didn't come back to him he was certain that he'd succumb to the darkness. Perhaps he'd end it himself. Or maybe he'd beg Tom to do it. There was comfort in that, at least.

The wind ruffled his fur as his steely eyes scanned the opened terrain, ears strained to listen for intruders. There were none that he noticed. Colden shifted and tugged on the loose pair of pants he had quickly gathered from his tent. He had tucked his phone into the back pocket and thankfully, it was still there.

The screen lit up the darkness as he dialled Belle's number. Three rings sounded, vibrating through the trees. Her voice tugged on his insides. She was the only family he had left and the thought of never seeing his little rose, his little sister, was excruciating. He had promised his mother that he'd take care of her but often, he wondered whether he was doing that good of a job with it. Now he was marching into a battle and she too could be left alone, without anyone but her mate to look after her.