Chapter 29

Amu's Pov

Today was the day Ami returned from Kyoto. I didn't want her to return so soon, but she insisted she stay with her family. With the clan, with the clan leader and future leader. I walked around the courtyard of the school, letting my mind wander. This may be the only time my mind has time to wander. After Ami returns, I'm going to be on higher alert than before. 

I sat under a tree and sighed. I looked up at the tree leaves, the sky peeking through the tiny gaps between leaves, twigs, and branches. I have never been more stressed in my long life. Not as stressed as I am at this very moment. I closed my eyes for a moment and once I opened them again, all I saw was Ikuto. 

Out of habit, I kicked out my leg to trip him and had my hand around his throat. My mind caught up with the rest of my body and I let him go. "Has no one taught you to not stand too close to a vampire?" I asked leaning against the tree and sliding down the trunk. "I was taught to slice a vampires neck and kill them while distracted." I rolled my eyes. "What do you want?" I asked. 

"I was just walking and I saw you. Is it wrong of me to want to see someone I like?" I looked up at him. "I don't like you," I said. "I think you actually like me." That is debatable. "I've told you. I need to stay away. A rebel vampire isn't easy to control. I don't know what she will do if she found out." I said. "You go to a human school. She won't be able to tell." I looked up.

"Hunters have a disgusting smell. I don't understand how Utau and Kukai could be close friends with you for so long." I said. "What do I smell like?" He asked sitting in front of me. "You smell of the blood of our fallen brethren and sistren. The smell a vampire never wants to smell. I reek of hunter. You hunt vampires primarily, so the scent is stronger." I said. 

"Speaking of hunters, how are you? From the school thing." I said and he leaned back. "I'm fine. What about you? They were after you." I shrugged. "I'm not delicate like you," I said and he laughed. "Very funny." We sat in silence. I was just about to say something when my phone rang. I answer leaning on the wall. 

"We need you back at the mansion. Hana is going crazy." I sighed. "I'll be there soon. Keep her under control until I get back. Make sure to keep her away from Ami once she returns." I said. "Yes, my lady." I hung up and sighed heavily. "What's wrong?" I shoved my phone back into my pocket.

 "I have things to deal with at home. Having to deal with an aggressive vampire is hard enough. I don't need to smell of you to calm her down." I said getting up. "How aggressive?" How do I explain how Hana is? "She's agitated. Out of control, but she's a good girl." I said shoving my hands in my pocket. "I need you to pass a message to Yori for me," I said.

"Okay, what is it?" I turned around, facing the direction of the mansion.  "Tell her as soon as she's completely healed and her power is back, call me, and we'll settle what we started. I can't have a little dragon defeat me. No offense." I said walking away. As I walked back home, something didn't feel right. I stopped and looked around. 

I was clearly alone, but I didn't feel like I was completely alone. Someone is watching me. I'm sure of it. I continued to walk. As I continued on my way, my mind drifted onto the topic of Yori. I know she's been asleep for a long time, but it shouldn't take her this long to be healed enough to confidently take me on, and she would attack as soon as she is able. This is strange.

I walked into the mansion and all I could hear was Hana's screams. I ran into the main hall and everything was wrecked. "What is going on?" I asked and Utau looks at me. "She was sleeping, then she started going crazy. I tried to calm her down, but nothing I do is working." I looked at Hana. She looks horrible. "Everyone out. Put up a barrier. No one enters or leaves." I said.

Everyone ran out and I took off my jacket. "Hana, calm down," I said approaching her slowly. "You were with him again. That hunter. He's taking you from us. He's taking away our leader. The only one who can take care of all of us, he's breaking apart our family!" I shielded myself as she screamed. She doesn't look like it, but she's powerful.

"Hana, he won't take me from our family. I'm still here." I said walking closer, but the closer I got, the more violent she got. Eventually, I got so tired of not getting anywhere with her, I just jumped and held her in my arms. She thrashed back and forth, but I held her tightly. "Hana, I'm not going anywhere. I'll stay here. Right here as long as you need me. He won't take me away."

She began to cry and the glass windows all shattered. "I'm not going anywhere," I said softly, and ever so slowly, she calmed down. Once she was finally calmed, I called in Kukai to bring her down to the dungeon. I looked at Hana. "You will stay there until you are calm. This is not a punishment. This is for your own good." She nodded and I watched her leaving the hall. 

I called in Yaya and told her to have someone clean up. I walked out to the living room and laid on the couch. I sighed and heard footsteps. I opened my eyes and Utau was looking down at me. I sat up and she sat on the coffee table. "What?" I asked and she just looked at me. I gave her a look and she smiled at me.

"What are you smiling about?" I asked and she just continued to smile. "You saw Ikuto," I said nothing. "I didn't want to. He just happened to find me at the park." I said crossing my arms. "Doesn't matter. So, how was it? Seeing him?" I rolled my eyes. "I'm not mushy like you and Kukai. Ikuto and I will never be a thing." I said leaning back. 

"But, what if you can? like in your next life, you were born a human?" I said nothing. "I'm not good for him. There's nowhere around it. He and I just aren't meant to be." I said. "Okay, what if in his next life, you were born human and he was born vampire?" I gave Utau one of the dirtiest looks I have, and she just continued as if I didn't give her a look. I sighed. This woman.

"It would be the same. Nothing would change. the only thing that would change is our species. If he was born a vampire in his next life and I was human, he would do what I am doing. Fate isn't as kind to me as it was to you and kukai." I said and this time, it was Utau's turn to sigh heavily. "It is painful just watching the two of you." I rolled my eyes. 

"Dream all you like Utau," I said getting up and heading for the stairs. At the foot of the stairs, I turned back and looked at Utau. "He and I will never work, and even if we did, it'll only last a short amount of time. He's human. To him, life is long, but to me, his life is too short." I said walking upstairs to my room.