Reader X Smoker "Outmatched, Outwitted, and Overwhelmed"

You huffed squeezing through the narrow pipe, wrestling with the pockets in your clothes, you were barely able to free your device- and setting it back on too was a hassle, scanning the mass of thermal signatures, you grinned.

Just a couple more meters to go.

The prisoners down there must have been so severely agonized, just the thought of their condition made you huff out in aggression.

The police went too far this time.

They changed the game after a certain incident that played at night a few weeks ago, a police officer that was out looking for their soulmate was no match for her own criminal soulmate.

It wasn't long before they had her cornered.

As such, once she couldn't bare the stress of fighting off her instincts anymore, she gave in and declared loyalty to her soulmate instead, abandoning their previous affiliation for their soulmate's sake.

You loved the story, the thought that there was at least some people out there willing to put aside their loyalties to their corrupted organizations was a- dare you think it, romantic thought, it even got better when more stories that were similar to the first began to become the latest talk.

Too bad the said organizations didn't feel the same way.

Once they finally caught on that they could lose their own troops to their soulmates and betray the authorities instead of the other way around, they changed it all up.

They began to order cops in large groups, hunting down soulmates with organized tactics and arresting any they found on the spot- criminal or civilian, and what happened to them afterwards was sickening.

They practically tortured them, when two soulmates meet, it's common knowledge to know that either of them will eventually do just anything to be with their partner, just to stop the aching in their souls- and using that information, they tortured them, waving their loved one in front of them, promising them a happy life when they surrendered their loyalty to the authorities.

Sickening.

You bit your lip so hard it nearly broke, how could the authorities do something so inhumane? Love shouldn't be used on the battlefield like this! There were no winners in war, but the sure losers were the unfortunate soulmates finding each other during these horrid times.

Finally finding yourself above their prison, you carefully traced your fingers along the thin sheet of steel and watched it begin to erode and dissolve.

Clattering below you, squeezing through, you followed the discarded plate with a thump, startling the prisoners.

"W-Who're you?" Focusing onto a chained up female in a cell separated from the rest, your eyes widened momentarily before mellowing out in pity and sorrow.

Approaching the cell, you tenderly eroded the cuffs chaining her to the walls, staring hard at her subtle, faded burns, "you must be Akainu's soulmate" she jerked away from you, clearly angered by being called out.

"I'm (Y/N), revolutionary" turning to all the others, you gave them a reassuring smile, "I'm here to set you all free" as they begin to cheer and celebrate as you disintegrated their shackles, you watched as they all scattered away, most likely going out to search for their soulmates before making a hasty getaway.

The sight made you smile from a job well done, until you noticed the remaining female, and her lack of movement.

Walking back to her, you felt empathetic seeing her blurred eyes and tight frown, knowing exactly what was wrong, you gave her a supportive hand to the shoulder.