(Cicero) Insanity Unbridled part-2

Art by MadnessSilenceJester from deviantart
————
It was a long journey from the mountains of Cyrodiil to here. (Y/n) thought. Twice she had to fight through a combat zone of Imperials and Stormcloaks, before she could finally step on the land of Skyrim. After so many treks through the unforgiving snow, it felt great to sit by the fireplace again.
The knight looked around her, they called this place the Bannered Mare, nobody here talked about if they heard about the high elves and it was pretty quiet and laid back for an inn in such a populated city of Whiterun.
It was a peaceful place but felt lonely without an acquaintance or a friend. A rather distant memory crossed her mind, she used to visit inns like this a lot when she resided in Cyrodiil. Long before the oaths of Knights of Nine made it impossible to sit back in peace, she used to visit Cicero, her dearest back then. She still wonders what happened to him, as the recent stressful situations had caused their relationship to become faint. And slowly they began to see each other less and less.
(Y/n) remembered that Cicero was not very happy about her joining the Knights of Nine, he always wanted her to be a shadowy assassin like him. But she refused as taking innocent lives would be impossible for her.
However, she did remember that they met for the final time before parting their ways. Cicero was cold and angry towards her but had hid behind a smile. If it were any other day, she would feel comforted by his smile but that day was very different. She still couldn't forget the emptiness in his eyes and his almost insane smile. The way he clutched her and looked into her eyes, it was unsettling and sad at the same time. Part of her wanted to leave and never return, and another part of her just wanted to stay with him.

So long had he traveled to reach Whiterun. Just when he heard that (y/n) was going to be resting here, Cicero had rushed all the way from the Sanctuary to here. Luckily the usual bard of this inn wasn't here today, made it easier for the jester to take the place of a bard. Along with the harmless attire of his and the calm expressions of course.
Cicero had seen (y/n) as soon as she walked in. Even though, she never saw him, he was watching. There was a feeling of grief and regret when he saw her in the shining armor of the Knights of Nine, it reminded him of that bittersweet day when she was gone. The jester sighed and looked away from her, he couldn't risk her seeing him so quickly.
Cicero began to play tune, a happy one, like the start of a story he had narrated to himself a lot. And slowly it became chilling, sad and a bit dark, like that all too familiar story.

A tune began to play suddenly, it was soft and serene but managed to startle the knight. She looked up from the tankard of mead and saw a bard with auburn hair and a rather gloomy expression, playing the tune. Sometimes it was soft and happy, and sometimes it was chilling and dark. But it was a beautiful tune, (y/n), unaware that she was staring at the bard while he played the tune. As the music began to near end, the bard looked at (y/n), finding her watching him. Instead of feeling uncomfortable or angry, he just smiled at her.
And there it was, the all too familiar smile. (Y/n) was surprised to see that smile, where had she seen it before? Was it him? Was it Cicero?. She wanted to believe that he was never an assassin after she had left but she just couldn't. The bard took a seat far from (y/n) after he was done singing, the knight stood up from her seat and walked up to the bard.
"You play the lute beautifully" she smiled, taking a seat near him
"It wasn't that beautiful, but thank you" he chuckled "besides, it'd never be as beautiful since the day she left" he looked away and took out the old dagger that once belonged to (y/n) and placed it in front of her, she had abandoned it but Cicero had kept it safely. She was no longer in doubt that it was indeed Cicero.
"I believe your Nine are serving you well" he sarcastically said
"Cicero..." she gasped "is this what you wish to talk about after we met? After years of not seeing each other?" she frowned in disbelief
"Well" Cicero smiled "we could meet like this after years... or we couldn't... you could've always been my sweetest of sweetheart" there was a chilling note in his voice
"I don't understand why are you acting this way..." she was interrupted when Cicero put his hand gently on her lips
"Hush, we can talk about our past later... first, there are quite of conversations we need to do" he smiled to comfort her.
Hearing this, she was overjoyed, she thought that not only a past misunderstanding was about to be cleared but they could be lovers again....