12.) troubled youth

• F U N N E H •

We shuffled out the door and turned to look back at Officer Farlam, who was now starting to investigate around the scene.

Had they cornered her dorm off too? Was it off-limits? Her Christmas house wasn't that far from her normal dorm. But why would she help us? Because we looked like genuine people who wanted to help?

My heart ached to believe her story. I believed that good is in everyone, that no one was born evil. I believed in the triumph of good. But it was partially so unbelievable.

We started off to her dorm, making small talk whilst on our way there. "What do you think we'll find at her dorm? Treasure? Clues? Bodies?" I joked.

"Bodies? Seriously?" Kyran raised an eyebrow. "What? We've found bodies before!" I stuck my tongue out. Gold laughed.

    We kept up the small banter for maybe fifteen minutes until we actually reached her dorm. I tried the door but it was locked. "Great, it's locked. What now?" Kyran asked.

   "We find another way in," I said, determined to get into the dorm. I circled around to the back, trying every window. Fortunately, one of the windows snapped open when I tried to pry it open.

    I hauled myself up the wall and through the window, struggling a little bit. I stood on my feet after climbing through and turned around to help Gold and Kyran up.

     I pulled Gold up, and Kyran managed to climb up on his own. Well kinda. We had to help him a little bit. But once we were all in, we looked around the dorm.

    Nothing had been touched in the dorm from just a glance around. There were boxes and luggage, probably because she was packing up. Kyran said that they were making everybody leave by the end of this week or something like that.

    "Where do we start?" Gold asked, looking around. "Split up. Search and conquer," I instructed. We split up around the dorm.

I pushed open a door to the washroom and flicked on the light switch. It was a decently sized washroom, about as big as ours was in our dorm.

    I opened two cabinets underneath the sink, but to no avail. Just cleaning products. I closed the doors and glanced over the sink. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

I bent down and looked on the tile flooring, but again, nothing. Just a little dust behind the toilet. I pushed the shower curtain open and nothing. Not a single thing.

I sighed in defeat and checked the washing machine. I opened it, but nothing was inside it. I checked the drying machine too but same result.

I groaned and started to walk out the room when a glint reflecting from the light caught my eye. I spun around and realized it came from the sink.

I reached my finger into the sink and felt the walls of it, feeling the small droplets of water drip onto my finger. It was wet. It was used recently.

I backed away and turned around, looking around the washroom again. Everything else was normal. I turned off the lights, hesitated, and turned them back on, then slowly left the room.

"Kyran?" I called out. He stood up from looking around the boxes placed about the room, "Yeah?" I made a motion with my hand, signaling for him to follow me.

He followed me into the washroom, where I then showed him the sink and how it was wet. "Does that mean someone used it recently?" He asked.

"I mean, yeah. But who used it? Was it Evelyn?" I pondered aloud, staring into the mirror in front of us.