18.) lost and found

• L U N A R •

I did not lose it. I couldn't have lost it. I couldn't have! It was in my pocket, secure. I always felt when my phone fell out of my pocket. So why didn't I feel it that time?

     I mean, I don't drop my phone that often. I was clumsy at times, but not so much to the point where gravity was literally my absolute enemy.

    Another thought hit me as I felt my eyes widen. I reached into the front pocket of my overalls, expecting to feel nothing. I felt something.

      I realized I felt my phone in my front pocket, meaning that it was not my phone I had lost.

     I hadn't lost my phone, I had lost Funneh's phone. She's gonna kill me, I thought to myself. I was in for an earful if I didn't get it back.

      I spun around and sprinted back to the store, huffing and puffing as I ran. I probably looked like a maniac, running through the town frantically. But I didn't care. I kept running.

     I tried not to push people, but the streets were crowded. I guess that was what happened when summer rolled around; towns get full and busy.

When I arrived at the store, the cashier looked quite surprised to see me again. He leaned over the counter and raised an eyebrow, "Well, welcome back, Love. Did you need something else?"

     "Uh, no. I just lost something of mine. Have you seen a phone around? It's white with blue and black designs? And it has a symbol of a 'K' on the back," I explained, bouncing on the heels of my feet in anticipation for his answer.

     "Sorry, Love, I haven't seen one like that. But you're welcome to search around and check," He motions his head towards the aisles.

      As I stepped into the first aisle, he called out, "Just don't go stealin' anything! I'll know for sure if you do, Love." I nodded towards him and turned back around to look.

I bit my lip as I scurried through the aisles. I scavenged through the shelves of stuff, frantically searching for her phone. I finally shuffled into the aisle I fell in and hunted for the lost phone.

When I actually stopped searching, I stood in the middle of the aisle with a defeated look. "She's going to kill me," I murmured to myself, a defeated sigh escaping my lips.

"Pardon?" A voice called from behind. I spun around and faced the person whom owned the voice.

"Sorry, just talking to myself," I mumbled, accompanied by an awkward and nervous laugh.

    Before me stood a girl, maybe about two inches shorter than me, with pale skin and black, straight hair reaching to barely above her waist.

     Her eyes were a dark red and her outfit screamed an aesthetic of a vampire's complexion. Did that sound rude? I didn't mean it that way. She just reminded me of one, weirdly enough.

"Oh, it's fine. You seem upset. Something wrong?" She asked me, her dark red eyes growing in curiosity.

"Oh, I just can't find my friend's phone. She gave it to me to charge but I think I lost it. She's going to be so mad," I explained.

     Mad was an understatement. Funneh would be so peeved at me. She was a sweet person, I mean. She was selfless and back home everyone knew her as a hero. But losing a phone is a big deal to anyone.

    A phone contains precious things to a person and their own selves that the phone represents. Photos, messages, apps, information that people keep in a phone.