37.) new beginnings

"тrυтн ιѕ, everyone'ѕ gonna нυrт yoυ; yoυ jυѕт goттa ғιnd тнe oneѕ worтн ѕυғғerιng ғor,"
-вoв мarley

(No chapter banner today. Rushed but I'll draw it soon and add it later when I'm revising the book)

•∞•

• G O L D •

   I knew it was already going to be the middle of summer, yet, it didn't feel like it. It felt like it hadn't even started. Maybe we weren't in school, but it was like a limbo state feeling. This summer hadn't fully been a summer, it was more like a movie that was going to end the moment summer started. It was that feeling, and yet, summer was already almost gone.

   I remembered last year when summer started. It was strange. All that summer, it felt like a dream, but not a good kind. I kept waking up thinking we were still in the dorms, expecting to see Valerie eating sushi as she hummed Senpai's name in the gazebo. It never felt real, like she had actually died.

I still couldn't believe it.

But at this moment, it was finally starting to be the season we enjoyed. Finally, the credits were going to start rolling and our story would find its happy ending with everything resolved and everything okay. Finally, our summer was beginning, even though it was in the middle of it already.

    "Where did Funneh go?" Funneh's mother asked me, tapping on my shoulder.

"I thought she was with you?" I doubtfully answered, raising an eyebrow as I turned around, "I didn't see her leave."

"I mean, she was with us," Funneh's father started to explain, "but then she said she had to talk to someone and would be back. She wandered off with one of your friends."

   "I didn't even notice her walk away. Who did she leave with?" I inquired as her mom shook her head unknowingly.

    "I don't know his name. He's tall and has red hair," she explained, "he's one of your friends."

    "Oh, you're talking about Alec," I realized as Draco muffled a laugh, to which I turned towards him and asked, "what's so funny?"

"You know exactly why I'm laughing," he stifled, coughing into the crook of his arm before turning away to an also equally laughing Lunar.

"If you say a single thing, I will bury you alive, so help me, Lunar," I deadpanned, to which Lunar mocked me and turned around, pouting.

"Oh, there she is," Rainbow pointed off into the distance, acknowledging Funneh as she hurried over towards us.

"Uh, Funneh? You okay?" Rainbow inquired, raising an eyebrow, "you look.... uh, how do I say this nicely—"

"—Unstable. She means you look insane, deranged, weird, abnormal, unhappy, etcetera," Lunar interrupted.

"Lunar!" I exclaimed, elbowing her, "have you no filter? She's just clearly upset."

"What? I was being honest!" Lunar pouted, crossing her arms, "and my honesty is telling us that Funneh looks like a mess."