16. Dance with the devil

"What about this one?", I asked, showing him a beautiful white knee-length dress.

"Maybe for prom.", He commented sarcastically and moved forwards

"This one looks good.", He pointed at a royal blue backless evening gown with a long slit running upwards at the bottom.

"Nah. Shows too much skin.", I disfavored.

We were at the mall, finding clothes for the ball. Xavier had already selected a pitch black three-piece suit but I was unable to find a nice dress in the whole mall. Some were too flashy, some were too simple and some were too expensive.

"What about this?", He motioned towards a black dress hung in the corner and a gasp escaped my lips when my eyes zoomed on the dress.

"Wow.", I exclaimed.

It was a simple black mermaid gown with small sequins enhancing its beauty. Moving closer to it, I ran my finger along the silk material. It felt so soft and delicate under my touch that my heart started melting.

I was about to say yes to this dress when my eyes wandered to the price tag

I was about to say yes to this dress when my eyes wandered to the price tag. It was more expensive than my whole month salary. A wave of disappointment passed through me and I took a step back.

"Black is not my color.", I lied to Xavier, plastering a fake scowl on my face.

"Let's buy the royal blue one.", I suggested.

"Ok, you go and sit in the car. I'll pay for it." He walked to the counter and I made my way towards the car.

We had made a deal. He would pay for the dress for now and I'll return the money as soon as we return to our town because I didn't have any money with me.

...

After coming back from the mall, Xavier left me alone in the room to get ready for the ball. I decided to take a warm, relaxing bath. The hotel bathroom contained a wide range of soaps, body lotions, scents, bath salts, shampoos and conditioners.

After using a large amount of lavender scented bodywash, I inhaled deeply, the soft fragrance filled my nostrils. When I was done, I wrapped a large towel around my body and stepped out of the bathroom.

The dress was still packed because my lazy self couldn't bother to check it first. After drying my hair, I opened the packet and my eyes nearly bulged out of pocket when they met the same black dress I saw earlier.

It must be some mistake. How would I pay for it? I can't even return it now. The ball is starting in one hour.

I started pacing around the room, trying to figure out a way to pay him back.

Ok, I'll not eat Nutella or ice cream for a whole month.

Well, I better die than living without them.

I was in the middle of my freak-out session when my attention diverted to a small chit, tucked beside the dress. Unfolding it, I read it aloud.

Consider it a parting gift. :)
Xavier