42. Lost Love

Xavier's POV

"Dada."

After the whole day of running around for a case, I finally closed my eyes when someone poked my cheeks.

Opening my eyes, I found Jade staring at me with her big eyes, her arms were tightly wrapped around her fluffy bunny.

"Can I sleep with you?", she asked, pouting.

"Of course Jade.", I picked her up and laid her down beside me. Wrapping my arm around her tiny body, I closed my eyes when she poked me again.

"Dada."

"Hmm.", I hummed without opening my eyes.

"You call Hazel?", she asked.

Her name caused all the sleep to fly through the window. I couldn't describe the happiness I felt when I saw her yesterday. It felt like a dream coming true. I never expected to find her in Chicago when I moved here few months back. I wanted to find her but I didn't have courage. No matter what the circumstances were, I chose Jessica. I couldn't just expect her to wait for me. It has been four years. So many things had changed.

"Dada.", she poked my cheeks again.

Who taught her to poke like that?

"Yes sweety.", I asked, propping myself up with the help of my elbow.

"Hazel is pweety.", she smiled.

"Yes, she is.", I agreed. Yesterday, she was wearing an emerald color dress which hugged her figure like a glove, highlighting her beautiful curves. Her hair looked darker than before, but it complimented her features. She was more than just beautiful, she was mesmerizing.

"Her eyes are green. Soooo green.", Jade said.

I laughed at her expressions. She looked quite impressed with Hazel. It was rare, usually she hated every girl who ever tried to talk to me.

"Come on, Jade. You should sleep now. I'll call her.", I said and lay down again when she poked my cheek again.

"Dada."

"What now.", I asked.

"Do you miss mama?", the corners of her lips turned downwards.

"Of course I miss mama Jade.", I whispered.

I never loved Jessica the way I loved Hazel but she was very dear to me. She had been my friend for many years and my wife for one and a half year so her death left a deep impact on me. I watched her struggle for her life in her last days. I watched her lose every last inch of hope in her last days. I was there when she hugged Jade for the last time. I was there when she took her last breath. I didn't regret my decision for even a single second. It hurt me but it was right. I am grateful for the time I spent with Jessica.

"I miss her too dada.", Jada whispered, her eyes were closed. I knew she was about to sleep. Leaning towards her, I kissed her forehead and lay down again.

When I heard her small snores filling the room, I hopped out of the bed and walked towards the drawer in which Jessica's picture was hidden. She was holding little Jade in her hands. This picture was taken when she returned to our house after the delivery. That was the last time I found her this happy. Her health deteriorated after few days and the rest of her days passed in a hospital.

She was the woman who gave me the most precious asset of my life. My daughter whom I loved more than anything.

"Hey Jess.", I whispered.

"I know you can't listen to me.", I trailed off. "But I want to say something."

I paused and looked at Jade for a minute. She was cuddling with her bunny which I gifted her on her 2nd birthday.