29. Classier side of America

"I really enjoyed your company.", Nathaniel said as we walked through the main gate of the bungalow.

"Me too.", I smiled.

Well, except the part where my stupid brain started comparing you to Xavier.

"So, what did you decide? Friends?", he raised his eyebrow and pulled out his hand.

"Not yet, Mr. Hotshot.", I smirked and walked away, leaving him standing there with his hand pulled out awkwardly.

It was late at night, so there was pin drop silence in the whole bungalow. So when I heard a loud bang from the TV lounge, I rushed towards it. I shrieked when my eyes met with Xavier lying still on the floor.

"Oh God. What happened?", I kneeled down beside him and nudged his shoulder.

He lazily opened his eyes to a narrow slit and groaned.

"Are you drunk? Damn it, how much did you drink?", I cried out and he winced at my voice.

Putting one arm beneath his head, I helped him get up so that he was now sitting on the floor with his head resting back on the couch.

"I just had t.. two glass. I am a l... lightweight, I can't tolerate al.. alcohol.", he said groggily as I straightened his legs and pulled his shoes out of his feet.

"Why would you drink if you can't tolerate it?", I exasperated and he gazed at me with his drooping eyes. He was a master in hiding his emotions but right now, under the effect of alcohol, I witnessed a storm brewing inside his blue orbs.

"I.. I should go.", I said to avoid the emotions stirring inside me.

I tried to get up but he gripped my wrist and pulled myself towards him. I yelped in surprise and my eyes widened.

His face was just inches away from mine and there was pain clearly written on it. I had no idea if the reason was alcohol intolerance or something else.

"How was your date?", he whispered, loosening his hold on my wrist and using that hand to tuck my hair behind my ear. I trembled when his fingers made contact with my sensitive skin.

My heart was beating at an alarmingly high speed and my throat suddenly felt too dry to speak.

"Uh.. I.. It was just a dinner.", I tried to ignore the fact that his other arm was snaking around my waist, pulling me even more closer.

My face heated up when I realized our position, he was sitting on the floor with his legs stretched out and my upper body was completely draped over him.

He chuckled sarcastically at my answer and muttered under his breath, "If that's what you think."

"I.. I should go to my room.", I tried to free myself but he didn't pull back.

"Xavier.", I sighed in defeat when he didn't let me go.

"Hazel.", he lowered his head and rested it on my shoulder.

"Don't do this Xavier, please.", I beseeched desperately when he nuzzled his nose along the curve of my neck. My breath hitched at the contact and I bit my lower lip to stop myself from letting out a moan.

God knows how much courage it takes to push you away.

"Just few more minutes.", he moaned and hid his face in the crook of my neck. His breath was fanning ny neck, sending shiver after shiver down my spine. His body was completely glued to mine and I could feel every rippling muscle and every contour underneath his cotton T-shirt.

Few minutes passed when I heard his small snores. Letting out a deep breath, I pulled away and rested his head on the couch.

His face looked so innocent, so peaceful. His long lashes were resting over his high cheekbones and his soft red lips were parted slightly. A yearning smile made its way to my lips.

Standing up, I walked towards the guest bedroom in front of the TV lounge and pulled out a spare blanket and pillow from the cupboard.

Walking back towards Xavier, I helped him lay down on the carpeted floor with his head resting on the pillow and covered him with the blanket.

Running my fingers through his soft hair, I placed a small kiss on his forehead and muttered a low 'Good night'.

After I lay down on my bed to sleep, there was only one question on my mind, "Why did Xavier sound jealous? He doesn't feel something about me, does he?"

...

The next morning started with the sound of rain trickling down the window glass. I hopped out of bed, stretched my limbs and let out a loud yawn. There was something about this morning, something that made me feel happy and contented. I had no idea what.

Slipping into jeans and a tank top, with a hoodie to keep me warm, I descended the stairs and plodded towards the living room. Xavier and Jessica were busy in some discussion regarding the guests so I didn't bother to disturb them and slumped down on the couch in front of them.

"Hazel, how was the dinner last night? I hope my cousin didn't bore the hell out of you with his narcissistic jokes.", she commented when she realized my presence.

"Better than I expected.", I replied honestly and Xavier's eyes furrowed at the mention.

"Really?", someone mumbled from behind me and I jolted in surprise.

It was Nathaniel in his tracksuit. He looked like he just came back from running.

"Don't get so cocky. I was just trying to mantain your reputation in front of your cousin.", I snorted and he gave me a playful glare.

"Aren't you witty, Miss. Martin?", he winked at me and threw the stinking towel at Jessica who shouted at him in return.

"Well, I have my share of talents.", I retorted and a grin appeared on his face.

He turned his attention to Xavier and added, "I never got that chance to greet you, Xavier. Welcome to the family. Hope you will like the classier side of America."

Xavier, who already looked like he wanted to punch square in his jaw, was now fuming in his anger. I could literally see smoke coming out of his ears.

"Too bad, even the classier side has garbage.", he stated and got up to leave the room. Jessica threw an angry look at Nathaniel and rushed behind Xavier.

"You shouldn't have done this.", I scolded Nathaniel and he shrugged in return. He left to take a shower and I leaned back on the couch.

Stefan entered the room after about an hour. "We are going to meet the hall decorators today, get ready in an hour.", he ordered when he noticed me.

"Yes boss.", I saluted.

"I left the samples in the store room last night. Can you bring them too? I'll be waiting for you in the car.", he said and I nodded.

The sounds of thunder penetrated my ears. I asked the housekeeper for an umbrella, just in case and requested her to show me the store room.

*************************

Don't forget to vote and comment.