26. Life is a heartless bitch

Xavier's POV

They say dreams do come true. I never believed it until now.

Hazel was standing in front of me, in a beautiful wedding dress, looking irresistibly prepossessing.

My eyes slowly traced over her appearance, from the golden hair that gently caressed its way down her neck to her emerald eyes standing out on her flawless skin, her naturally pink heart-shaped lips begging to be caressed, the soft curve of her neck, oh so delicate and finally resting on the dress that hugged her skin like a glove, showing off her perfect curves.

She was beautiful, in every sense. Not just by appearance, but by heart, too.

I have never met someone so strong yet so fragile, so stubborn yet so caring, so blunt yet so pure.

She was something else, one of her kind.

"Uh... I was just... Jessica asked me to try this on.", her voice pulled me out of trance.

My heart dipped down at the mention of Jessica. What was I doing? Giving into my heart's desire?

I was going to marry an amazing woman in less than twenty days and here I was, thinking about this woman standing in front of me.

My legs started moving on their own, without first consulting with my mind and I trudged towards her. Her scent was making my heart do somersaults inside my chest. I wanted nothing more than pull her into my arms and kiss the hell out of her.

"You look beautiful.", my voice suddenly felt dry.

"Thanks.", she passed me a sad smile, her eyes glistened in the bright room.

An invisible thread pulled my hand up and gently grazed over her cheek, her eyes shut close on their own and she relished in the temporary contact before I jerked my hand away as if she had burnt it.

The memory of what happened seven years ago flashed my mind.

"Where are you going mate?", Matt stopped the car in front of me.

"To the library.", I shrugged and a teasing smirk made its way to his lips.

"Nerd.", he muttered under his breath, earning a roll of eyes from me.

"Remind me why you are my best friend again?", I asked in a bored tone.

"Because I am the best.", he winked which was directed to a girl standing a little away from me.

"See, that's why they call you walking STD.", I scolded him and he just stuck his tongue out in return.

"At least, I won't die a virgin.", his taunt was obviously directed towards me.

"Still better. Ok, I am going now. Will meet you in the ground.", I stated and made my way towards the library which was at the opposite side of road.

"Live a little, Xavier. You never know when is your last minute.", I heard his voice behind me.

Matt Stinson, my childhood best friend and the bad boy of our college. All the girls love him, all the boys are jealous of his flirtatious abilities. But once you get past the cocky shell, he is a soft and kind-hearted guy.

I was almost in the middle of the road when I heard a loud crash from behind me.

I turned around hurriedly, only to find Matt's car roll over, lights swirled in the sky and the noise of metal being bashed over the concrete was almost deafening.

Throwing the books in my hand on the ground, I rushed past the crowd starting to gather around.

My eyes met with Matt's bloody body hanging outside the car. I heard somebody calling the ambulance.

Stooping down beside him, I tried to wake him up. His lids parted and I saw an amalgam of fear, pain and concern swiveling inside them.

"You will be alright, Matt.", I shouted but my voice came out like a whisper.

His head was bleeding profusely and his eyes were threatening to close again. Taking my shirt off, I lifted his head up with one hand and wrapped the shirt around it with the help of another classmate of ours.

"Where the fuck is this ambulance?", I cried out in pain and anger.

"I... am.. D.. dying.", his voice held no trace of hope.

"Don't speak like this. You have a wonderful life ahead of you. You can't die just like that.", his condition was deteriorating.

He hissed in pain, clutching his stomach where a shard of metal had penetrated the skin.

"Will.....you...f...fulfill.. my.. last... w...wish?", it was becoming difficult for him to speak with every passing minute.

"No. Because you are not dying.", tears blinded my vision.

"Will... you... marry.... my.... sister? She is.... crazy.. about....", his voice stopped in his throat and his eyes shut close.

"No...Wake up, Matt. You can't go like that. Wake up.", I tapped his face lightly to wake him up.

Paramedics arrived on cue and two men carried his body away from me. I witnessed him taking his last breath in front of me. I had no idea what happened next, the only thing I remember was the loud screams of Jessica as she hugged the lifeless body of her brother.

"Xavier?", Hazel's voice broke my chain of thoughts.

"What happened? I have been calling your name for the last two minutes?", doubt etched her face.

"Uh.. Nothing.", I tore my eyes away from her face.

Jessica exited the bathroom just on time and I averted my attention to her.

"Hey, what are you doing here?", she asked smiling but her eyes widened in awe when she looked at Hazel.

"Wow. It looks like this dress was made for you.", she exclaimed and Hazel's cheeks turned crimson red.

"Your husband will be one lucky man.", she commented and my heart writhed in pain at her comment.

One day, she will marry someone else and move on in her life.

Just like that, I'll lose the first love of my life.

Life is really a heartless bitch.

I hope you are in a better place, Matt.

**************************

I swear his point of view sounded better in my head. :D

Do you like it?

Hope this clears the confusion.