21. "I could ask you the same thing."

A/N: Not doing dedications anymore, unless I actually have a special dedication I want to give to someone. 

Ik I said I'd only upload twice a week, but I'm bored so I'm uploading now. And I feel bad for not posting as much as I did in the summer, I have school now. I just finished the first week, and it's the weekend right now omg.

School is gonna be hard.

People are pming me, telling me to update, so YOU'RE WELCOME!!!

-

MACKENZIE'S POV:

Johnny had somehow convinced the cops to let me stay at Hayden's house for the night, saying I need rest before being interrogated.

The cops drove me home. I was seated at the back of the cop car, it was dead silent most of the time. I couldn't stop thinking about Brynn– and Johnny.

That's the second time we've kissed since the divorce. It's not right, I shouldn't be doing it. It's making him and myself very confused.

But I couldn't help but kiss him. He's really the only thing that got me through that horrid experience. It wasn't Lauren, or anyone else, it was Johnny.

The only reason I wanted to make it out alive was for Johnny. I should've been thinking about Lauren, and how she wouldn't have a mother if I died. But I didn't, Johnny is the only voice that popped into my head.

Speaking of Johnny, he's in another cop car, away from me. Cops are driving us to Hayden's house. Sitting at the back of a cop car makes me feel like a criminal, and I'm not one.

Brynn risked herself for me. She could be dead for all I know, and it's my fault. I should've spoken up and told them that I was indeed the mother. But it was like I was mute, I couldn't get any words out of my mouth.

I know part of me thanks her for choosing herself over me. I get to live the rest of my life.

It's not confirmed she's dead. Those ugly teenagers kidnapped her, I never actually saw them kill her. I'll be doing a lot speaking tomorrow, so I need to get my story straight.

I was too deep in thought to even notice that we had arrived at Hayden's house.

I sighed, stepping out of the car. A cop had already opened the car door for me to leave, I was busy thinking to even see it.

The cop knocked on Hayden's door. I was standing close to the entrance, crossing my arms. Surprisingly, there was no awkward tension. I was still thinking.

There was no other cop cars here, besides the one I drove over here with. It's either Johnny isn't here yet, or he's already inside.

Hayden opened the door. Once he saw me, he opened the door wider to let me in. He didn't even seem the least bit startled that 2 cops were by his door, I'm assuming Johnny is already here.

Without another glance at the cop, I stepped into the house as Hayden thanked the cop for bringing me here and closed the door. I put my shoes on the rack, while Hayden got seated on the couch.

Just like last time, Annie was still occupying herself on the couch. Hayden was sitting beside Annie. The good thing about this, is that Nadia isn't here this time.

I can't even imagine what kind of rude insult she'd say this time. Maybe 'what kind of person loses their kid?'

Johnny was on a different couch, smiling at me. I didn't bother to return the gesture, but instead asked him the question I've been longing to ask for the next while. "Where is Lauren?"