33. "Don't give me that attitude."

A/N: CHAPTER DEDICATED TO Haliaaaaaa

Thank you so much for helping me get rid of my writer's block! <3

-

MACKENZIE'S POV:

(Continuation from the last chapter).

Annie and I very awkwardly walked in Hayden's house, me trying my best to forget the last 5 minutes even happened. Annie is pregnant?

The reaction I had wasn't the best, I assumed it was Johnny's which was very selfish of me. I jumped to a conclusion, kind of like what I did with Johnny and Annie back when Johnny and I were still married. Even though I wasn't right about Annie being the other girl, I got the main assumption across. Johnny cheated on me.

The point is, I shouldn't have reacted that way at all. I should've congratulated her for the pregnancy, but instead, I screamed in her face. It's what the typical best friend would do, right? Congratulate their best friend. But all I do is think about myself. I don't deserve Annie.

Hayden welcomed us in, and I took my usual spot on the couch. Johnny was nowhere to be found. I asked Hayden about it, and he said Johnny was upstairs and will be back in a minute.

A breath of relief hit me once I heard Hayden's words. Even though the reason I came here was to pick up Lauren and see Annie, I was actually hoping to see Johnny today too. Some part of me would like to think that the life of my life isn't ignoring me, and everything is simply a coincidence. But life isn't that easy.

Me ignoring him is completely off the table. It got me nowhere, and only drew an even bigger wedge between us.

Hayden and I made some small talk, we haven't really gotten to talking since the divorce. Annie and I have gotten closer, but I non-purposely avoided Hayden. I thought it was because I simply didn't have time for socializing with anyone that willingly invites Johnny into their house even after knowing everything he did. I wasn't mad at Hayden, but he's Johnny's best friend. I can't open up to him like I can with Annie.

Johnny later came down the stairs, his hands in his bright yellow sweater. He very awkwardly sat on the couch, not even bothering to creep a smile onto his face.

His bored expression seemed to irritate to Annie, as she huffed and stormed out of the room. Now, this just leaves the three of us here– Johnny, Hayden, and me.

I noticed how his eye contact remained off of me. He stared out into space, like I used to do when I was ignoring him. When he wasn't staring out in space, he looked at Hayden. I know he's doing this purposely, which wasn't the part that bothered– it was the fact that he was copying all of the actions I did when I was ignoring him.

Hayden very awkwardly cleared his throat, attempting to start a conversation. "So, how's everything going?" He chirps.

Johnny shrugs, pulling out his phone. Taking my eyes off of Johnny, and up at Hayden, I respond. "Not that well, I'm sure you know that." I roll my eyes. I wasn't intending on being rude, because I love Hayden. Something just came out onto me.

Hayden's like a brother to me, and even though we're not that close, he'll always mean so much to me.

Hayden awkwardly yet embarrassingly nods, attempting again at a start of a conversation. Just like last time, he failed miserably. "How's the divorce going?"

Johnny and I both widened our eyes, turning to each other as our faces went red. I was actually quite thankful for Hayden's question, Johnny finally looked at me.