CHAPTER SIX

Linus

The mall was a complete disaster. As soon as we had arrived, I had the sense to feel afraid and with great reason. How do so many people fit in one place? It made no sense to me. I could tell that Fraden felt the same because of the scowl on his face.

Now, looking in the mirror in the room I suspect I would be calling my home, I couldn't help be thankful for modern salons. I looked amazing. James had convinced me to dye my hair black and need I say, it was working for me. I was in black skinny jeans and a graphic T-shirt. I must admit, I wondered why it is that the herd was so hell bent on staying away from modern civilization. I shrugged then as I admired myself. Shopping wasn't fun, but the end result was great.

"Told you you'd love it." I looked at James who grinned and I shook my head. When did he get here?

"Yeah, well, you didn't really give me much of a choice anyway." He entered the room with a shrug, stuffing his hands on his pockets.

"As long as you like it, doesn't really matter, does it?" I made a face, the people on this house were way to weird.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him as I pretended to fold the new clothing they got me. For a person who was constantly called a 'prisoner' they sure did buy me a lot of things.

"Just, making sure your alright." I stood straighter and folded my arms over my chest to give him a hard stare.

"I see what's going on," his eyes moved to the side nervously. "Your my guard now,huh? I'm his prisoner so he needs to make sure I don't run away and your here to make sure of it,aren't you?" He blinked and a smile broke on his face.

"That's a bit extreme, don't you think?" I rolled my eyes.

"It's the only valid explanation to your sudden appearance."

"I ah...I wanted to thank you, actually." I moved away and narrowed my eyes.

"For what?" I asked him suspiciously.

"For bringing him home," I was taken aback at his sincerity that I looked him up and down with my brows raised. "If it weren't for you...I would have never lived to see this day, so...thank you,Linus."

I didn't even really do anything, I hadn't even noticed that I was opening a prison with a Serpent shifter in it. The thank you made me feel uncomfortable. I didn't know these people, they didn't know me, why were they being so nice? Why were they being so welcoming and open? It made no sense to me.

"What is your deal?" I asked him feeling on edge as I folded my arms over my chest.

"What do you mean?" He blinked adorably and innocently with a tilt of his head.

"It's obvious you know what Fraden is," I paused, his name was not feeling easy on my tongue, let me tell you, I looked back to James who was watching me still. "How are you so calm about everything?" I was honestly very curious how a human, such as himself could be so welcoming and so aware without thinking he's crazy or something.

"I don't know," he shrugged and scratched the back of his head. "I guess, it just makes more sense to me to be this way." He folded his arms lazily over his chest. "I can't imagine being any other way." He grinned.