CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Linus

I couldn't keep the smile off or my face. I spoke to my dead mother, as freaky as that sounded, I had and she told me to get control, basically giving me permission to actually do magic. This surprisingly enough made me excited. It wouldn't be easy, that much I knew but, it was something.

"I can't believe you talked to her." Fraden told me, we were still where the village used to be. "Does this mean you can do that when ever you want?"  I tilted my head in wonder.

"I'm not sure." I shrugged and turned towards the forest. "I don't even know how to explain how I got to talk to her." I sighed and stuck my hands in my pocket. "It just...happened."

"What were you thinking about, before it happened?"

"The day invasion, I thought about what I had done and how much it scared me. The guilty that I hadn't acknowledged at the time I had."

"Hmm," I turned to see Fraden with his hand on his scruffy chin. "Seems to me your emotions influence your powers and what they do." I nodded in understanding. "So, if your going to practice, that's where you can start." I blinked.

"Excuse me?" Fraden smiled which had me doing a double take. It was rare and so very beautiful, it made me blush.

"It'll take time, especially since you seem to want to pass out after doing magic, but, I think we can do it." I looked up at him through my lashes.

"We?" He took a step towards me and nodded.

"Yeah, I'm going to help you."

"You? Help me?" I scoffed. "That's laughable." He frowned.

"Why is that?"

"You find me annoying, remember?" He shrugged.

"That doesn't mean I can't help." I stared at him for a while.

"I don't know what happened," I began, "but you being nice to me, is very hard to believe." He smirked.

"I'm not being nice, I'm being tolerable, you should try it sometime." I hit his chest and he laughed. It was a sound I could definitely get used to.

"But still," I pursed my lips. "Why are you being nice to me? or what ever." He got closer and suddenly I could feel his breath on me, I tilted my head up as he stared at me with seemingly tender eyes. I felt my breath hitch

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." He spoke so softly, his hand lifted up to my wrist and he trailed his finger up my arm to my shoulder, goosebumps were left in his touch's wake.

The moment of silence was comfortably tense. My heart rate suddenly seemed to pick up the longer we gazed into each others eyes, and his hand gripped my shoulder and stayed there. The wind blew gently making my hair flutter in my eyes when I heard it. My eyes dropped to the ground then as I tried to listen.

Hmmmm, so very nice. The voice was low and calming yet dark, did that even make sense? I looked away from the ground to my right where I felt a weirdly dark vibe which is also where the voice came from. It laughed.

"Li-"

"Shh!" I told him, my finger on his lips. Then I moved away from him and slowly inched towards the cluster of trees, they were so close together it didn't seem like I would actually be able to get through, but somehow, I continued moving towards it,cautiously.