CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Linus

I was surprised to see my old calculus teacher and supposed mate here with Theodore of all places. Then it dawned on me that he planned to find out what happened to our bond and I guessed that Theodore was someone he felt could give him the answers he desperately needed. I hoped my being here wouldn't make him think I was following him because that would be awkward.

Mr. Jackson stood, his eyes wide and he smiled. I hoped he wouldn't try to hug me because we didn't know each other like that, but sadly, he wrapped his arms around me and I  tapped his back awkwardly.

"What are you doing here?" His eyes were shining with so much hope that it made me frown.

"His mate was just taken by the Supreme Council." Theodore spoke from his seat and I chuckled tensely as the light in Mr. Jackson's eyes dulled along with the hope.

"Oh, I'm sorry about that." He wrapped his arms around himself again like he had the time I practically rejected him.

"Have a seat, Linus." I sat on the available sofa and looked at Theodore, I was trying to recall why I needed his help, but I was distracted by Mr. Jackson and his sadness. I honestly wanted to make him feel better but I didn't know how to do that without giving him false hope. I sighed and closed my eyes feeling awkward. "I don't know who to help first to be honest, but since I brought you here...Gunner?" Theodore said and I looked to Mr. Jackson who sighed.

"I just wanted to know if you could help me understand why Linus doesn't feel our bond, much less acknowledge my existence." He pouted and looked away from me.

"Well, I don't know the entire deal with your bond, however, I can tell you that Linus was given potential mates." I turned to Theodore at the same time as Mr. Jackson. "Linus has had the choice to pick whom his mate will be. It was either or, whomever found him first would have been the one to have him. Simple as that."

"So, if he'd met me before Fraden, I could have had him?" Theodore nodded. "How is that fair though? Automatically he clung to the first person who got to know him." Mr. Jackson looked like he had been robbed and I frowned, the concept was so easy yet so flawed. "What about me? I grew up waiting for the day I finally got to see him, hold him," I turned to see him staring at me with shining eyes. "To be the mate I've always wanted to be and I end up with nothing."

"I wouldn't say nothing." Theodore smiled knowingly. "You have another who would gladly love you as much  as you deserve." Mr. Jackson scoffed lightly and shook his head in what I can only assume to be shock and betrayal.

"But I didn't ask for that... I didn't ask for any of this. Why am I forced to settle for second best?" I felt my heart break as he spoke slowly and with an hint of resentment in his voice. "I mean, come on! I haven't even been given a chance." He sniffed and I was sure he was about to cry. "Why would fate do this to me? Why even let me see him for all these years!?" He stood then and shook his head. He wrapped his arms around himself and blinked rapidly as he tilted his head up.

"Fate can be cruel." Theodore told him as he stared at me. "It does what it wants," I blinked.

"Why am I given a potential when I had Fraden?"

"Fraden wasn't actually meant to love again." He took a sip of what looked like tea. "He wasn't even meant to be freed from his imprisonment. Ever." He smirked. "You did the impossible and actually chose your own path, so to speak."