CHAPTER ELEVEN

Fraden

It was...odd, not having him around. That much I could admit to myself. Walking through the emptied house on his first day of school felt... stranger and rather...lonely. I think something was wrong with me. Was it possible to miss someone whom you hardly ever actually had meaningful conversation with? Had I managed to...get attached?

I found myself shaking my head and trying to distract myself from the nagging in my mind. I picked up my diary and looked through it and felt kind of like an idiot.

What would continuously reading my diary do? Where would it take me? I felt kind of obsessed with the passed all of a sudden. I mean, why else would I constantly read it? I knew I missed Jerald, but there was nothing I could do about him and his unnecessary death, staring at his photograph made me feel happy and sad all at once, however reading my entries, why was I doing that? Why was I clinging to the passes like this and making myself miserable and..alone.

I was alone for 575 years already, in that time, I went over every memory, pondered every choice. Why was it taking me so long to realise I wasn't imprisoned anymore, I was wasting the life I had. I  sat down by the window in thought.

It's not meant to be easy, I was aware of that, but, why was it that I was finding it so hard to let go? I signed then and a snake, a beautiful mamba slithered around my leg and I took it into my hand, it slithered and coiled around me, moving constantly.

"What's wrong with me,mamba?" He hissed at me.

That's not my name! I chuckled.

"I'm sorry."

Well, it's obvious you've been alone for too long. You need to get out! Meet people!

"That doesn't sound very appealing." I told him honestly.

Oh, I know, but your partly human so find the part of you that really wants to get out there and see the world. It slithered around until it got to the window will. You don't know how much time you have left anyway.

I tilted my head.

"You are right." I whispered thinking of how just last night, a rattle snake came to see me, to warn me about the council knowing about my freedom. "I must treasure my moments of freedom." I mumbled to himself referring to the council probably working on finding me. I sighed and stood, "there is no time like the present."

I felt like a semi crazy person talking to myself. I went for the kitchen and was met with silence. Sadly, I was anticipating the sound of Linus' voice to pierce through my ears but nothing.

"Fraden, you're an idiot." I shook my head and proceeded to make popcorn before heading for the living room to watch a movie.

Hours passed and then Linus was back along with Jennifer and James. I noted Linus' excitement about school and frowned.

"Hello, uncle!" James said happily and came to join me on the couch. "I have to admit this is a weird sight." He said amused.

"Yeah, Fraden in the living room. Watching TV, something's gone horribly wrong guys." Linus said and threw himself into the couch. He sat up immediately and spoke so fast, I couldn't believe that moments ago I wanted him here, now however as he went on and on, I wanted to tape his mouth shut.