CHAPTER NINE

Linus

Fraden was quiet and it was frustrating. I watched him as he made his way around the kitchen in silence. We were alone, James had a meeting with his publisher and Jennifer, who I had discovered this morning was a teacher was at school, teaching. So that left Fraden and I at home, alone. Insert nervous shiver here.

"So, any plans today?" I asked him like I hadn't made him mad the other day. He paused and ignored me. Look, I am usually a very calm persons I could handle silence, alright, but this was ridiculous. He couldn't be upset about yesterday, could he? "Are you still mad at me?" He glanced at me and shook his head. "Then why the silence?"

"I'm tired." He stated blankly and I rolled my eyes giving up on my sandwich.

"Oh come on!" I said, "we are alone, you can't tell me we won't be talking."

"Can't you just...entertain yourself?" He asked me as he took a sip of his juice.

"Why should I?" I began to follow him as he left the kitchen. "Your here and if you must know, I don't fancy being alone." I admitted and he paused.

"What I'm hearing is that, you don't need a conversation, you just want to know that someone is in the same room as you." I glanced at the wall and then back at him.

"Maybe?" He rolled his eyes and turned, walking to the library. I groaned, why was he so hell bent on being in there everyday!? "Why are you always in here?" I asked as we entered.

"It's relaxing." He stated and headed for the back where a table and chair waited. He sat down and took a book on the table.

I sighed and looked around. I swear, he was more fun on the way too this place than he is now that we were here. I began to look around then, I looked through books of history and fiction. Why do people read? I mean, just sit down and talk to someone instead! Have someone tell you a story, is what I would want.

I froze then as there was soft hissing to my right. My eyes wide I saw the snake slither towards me, it felt like I couldn't breath suddenly as I inched away from it. The sun hit its scales and it glimmered blue and green.

"F-F-Fraden! Y-your friend is he-here!" I said in panic as I pressed myself against the book shelf. Look, the thing was thick and long. It looked strong enough to take me and I was not in the mood to be poisoned. I was only 16, damnit!

It creeper passed me and I watched it and as it went out of sight I let out a breath only to hear a rattling sound. My eyes widened and I bolted.

"Hell naw!" I said exiting the library. I was panting and looking all around me. Honestly, why couldn't he control his friends and tell them to stay away in my presence?

I found myself in the living room, I sat down then and began to watched random movies. Before I knew it, it was dark and I had laughed and cried and wondered why people did this if tears and pain would also be involved. I looked at the time when my stomach grumbled and realised that James and Jennifer hadn't come back.

I wondered what Fraden was doing, but I also wanted to know which other movie I could watch next. Fraden came almost immediately.

"I ordered pizza," he told me, "James is with his partner and Jennifer is going to stay at a friends because of work." Then he was gone and I pouted before following him.