CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Linus

An entire week of absolute normalcy, this was good. I had full confidence in my own ability to actually pull of a normal life, going to school was becoming an absolute gift. I realised that there was a vampire who happened to teach history, which I found comical but also suspicious. I couldn't help wonder if he knew about my being a caster or if he had been part of the group that killed off an entire herd of panther shifters.

I was on high alert when it came to him.

Now, there was a more pressing issue I had yet to address. Fraden was being a complete weirdo. That was saying something considering the guy was already a bit on the weird side. He was...nicer? To me, I don't know how do explain it.

I guess it kind of began that night when he had tucked me into bed and I had woken up drastically from a nightmare that I completely forgot. He began to kind of...talk to me? I guess, it was really just small greeting here and there with hints of a smile, he even sat with me while I watched a movie and didn't once tell me I was talking too much. I honestly don't know who hit him upside the head but I was glad, now we could get to live in a more civilized manner.

"What are you guys doing today?" I asked eating the cereal, it was Saturday and I had already done half my homework the night before. Reading was a pain, but learning something from it was absolutely thrilling. The world was so big and so fascinating, I finally understood the reason for modern schooling. My herd really missed out on the best things in life.

"Uh..." James said staring intensely at his phone. "Well, I'm meeting Tiana after I have a meeting with my publisher about my new book, have a few thing about the cover that aren't too right." He said and began eating his cereal in haste. Tiana was his soon to be wife, it was adorable how he spoke of her really, I had yet to meet her but he promised me soon.

I looked at Jennifer who lazily yawned and typed slowly on her phone. She didn't bother looking up or saying anything. Fraden caught my eye and gave an awkward smile.

"Grocery shopping." He said and I beamed.

"I'll come with you!" I said and he blushed which was a new thing I discovered he could do! I guess he wasn't completely cold blooded. "You'll get bored."

"Its food, there is nothing boring about food." He chuckled.

"Yeah, your the reason I have to get more in the first place." He shoot back and shook his head while I stuck my tongue out.

"Oh! I was thinking of joining the drama club." James and Fraden froze, looked at each other then at me.

"I don't see this." James said seriously

"Isn't there something else?" Fraden asked almost innocently and I frowned.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I pouted and folded my arms over my chest. James clapped Fraden on the back and bolted but not before kissing Jennifer on the forehead to which she only grunted. I don't think she was a fan of weekend mornings.

"See ya, guys," he was out the door and I stared at Fraden who widened his eyes which made his look oddly adorable.

"Well? Why not drama club?" Fraden shrugged.

"Your not that good an actor."

"Actors aren't born, Fraden." I grumbled. "It would teach me something." I looked mournfully at the soggy cereal and quickly finished it before I change my mind. "You have no filter, I swear." I told him, "now let's go."

"But-"

"You're wasting time!" I stepped out of the house into the fresh air while he went into the garage for one or the cars, there were only two, and we took the one Jennifer usually drives. Fraden reversed and I had yo admit, he had better now at reversing than when he first tried, to which James had to be without a car for four days. I still snicker every time I think of that day. Fraden had been so afraid, like a puppy and so frustrated he nearly pulled his hair out, which was saying something cause his hair hardly moved when you touched it.

I got in the car and he was nervous, the way he gripped the steering wheel and kept his eyes wide open, I didn't even think it was a good idea for me to be in the car with him.

"Hey, relax," I touched his shoulder to which he looked at me.

"Maybe we should call a taxi?" He suggested nervously and I chuckled.

"Yeah, but you'd never learn now would you?" He sighed and put the car in its gearing. "Take it slow, we have all day." I reassured him and he really did take it slow.

It felt like forever before we actually got to the grocery store and I was glad to get out. Say what you will about cars buy I honestly liked using my legs, I only ever used them anyway and car rides were not my favourite I realise, no matter how convenient it was to use them.

"We are here." I looked to Fraden who was catching his breath. "You okay? This didn't happen when we went to the mall, so what's your problem?"

"That was agonizing. Its so different from the drivers seat." His dark eyes met mine and I gave a timid smile. It was still weird talking to him this much but also it felt so natural. I found myself patting his head, his hair made it feel like my hand was bouncing. "When are you driving again?" He asked seeming a lot more calm. I chuckled and pulled him up.

"Groceries, remember?" I said to him instead, yeah, I don't see myself ever driving, it was better to have other people drive for me.

We went into the cool store with a trolley and it was pretty calm and relaxing really.

"You didn't forget the money,did you?" I asked him before we went any further because I had witnessed how embarrassing it was to show up in a market place without money. It wasn't a personal experience and seeing how I felt embarrassed for someone else meant that if it were me I'd feel like dying. Fraden rolled his eyes and took the carried on after mumbling a soft yes.

I continued placing things I had found to be delicious into the trolley without even checking the price, I would pout whenever Fraden would take some of them out after seeing the price. Why was he so cheap?

"You are just a teenager, you don't need that many slabs or cheese." He told me rolling his eyes and I was tempted to stamp my foot on the ground.

"But I do! I'm a growing boy, Fraden. Fraden, please?"

"Then the nutella goes." I opened and closed my mouth as I looked between them. I gave him my best puppy dog eyes and tried my very best to seem very adorable and he continued to stare blankly at me.

"Uh! Its only because your allergic, don't be this way." He shrugged and put the cheese down, I gave it a heart broken look and promised it that I would come back when I had my own money and that I would get him a friend to spend time with in the fridge so she doesn't get lonely.

When I turned I felt my insides freeze. He gapped at me and blinked, shaking his head as though he was sure he was in a dream. He was as handsome as I remember him to be. His brunette hair was longer than I last remember, hanging just below his ear and his golden brown eyes, they were as doe eyed and beautiful as ever.

"Linus?" He asked me in his usual soft voice and I saw how his eyes watered. "It is you." He gave a laugh. "I can't believe it, you are alive."

"Gabriel." I found myself whispering, my voice cracking. He's okay.