Ch. 1

Alice's P.O.V

.

.

.

"Alice, Jacob is here!" I hear my brother, Edward, scream from downstairs.

A smile makes its way onto my face and I close my diary, putting my pen down. "Coming!"

Leaning over the bed, I place my diary at the bottom of my bag and sling the bag over my shoulder. Without wasting another second, I run down the stairs and meet my other brother, Emmett, at the bottom.

"Don't be late! And remember to use protection!" He yells after me teasingly as I pass him without giving him a glance.

I roll my eyes good naturally, "I'm not going to dignify that with a response. Jake and I are just friends."

He turns around as he continues his stride up the stairs backwards. "Yeah, but the question is... does Jacob know you're just friends?" Emmett rays raising an eyebrow questioningly. He laughs as he walks into his bedroom.

Ugh! I love my brothers so much, but sometimes I just want to be an only child for once. Skipping into the kitchen, I snatch an apple from the fruit bowl, "Mommy, Jacob's here." I inform her kissing her cheek on my way to the door. "Where's daddy?" I ask

"He already left. But he told me to tell you that he'd be picking you up from work today."

"But Jake already said he would." I reply in a sing song voice as I bounce out the front door.

"Then I'll tell your father." My mother says following me. "Now go before your late."

"Love you mommy!" I shout before running down the porch steps where I find my best friend sitting in his red rabbit waiting patiently for me to get in.

Jacob and I have been best friends since we were babies. There are no secrets between us and I feel like I can tell him anything without him judging me. He's my safe haven and I care for him deeply. However, as of recently, I've noticed, just like my whole family, that he's started harboring more than friendly feelings towards me. 

At first, I didn't know what to think because I've never thought of Jacob as more than a friend. Yes, he's extremely attractive with his green orbs, short black hair, chiseled chin and large biceps. You'd have to be blind if you didn't notice the six pack that he likes to show off every chance he gets. But, I've always seen him as a big brother so those things didn't affect me like they did with other girls. When I noticed his affections towards me, I didn't want to address it because we have such a good friendship and I didn't want to ruin it. But now I know I'm going to have to say something eventually. I need to make it clear that I don't see him that way, I love him as a brother, not as anything more.

I'm waiting for the right guy to come into my life and I know it isn't Jacob.

 Jumping in the car, I give him a half hug, "Hey Jake."

"Hey gorgeous." He replies pulling out of the driveway and starting towards the diner where I work. "What time do you get off today?" Jake asks as he intertwines his fingers in mine.

Looking down at our fingers, I reply, "4, but I don't have to be home until 6."

"Perfect! How about I take you to the beach after work and we can walk along the beach?"

"Sounds wonderful!" I smile at him, taking my hand out of his discreetly. Turning my head I blow a strand of hair out of my face and look out the window.

.

.

.

Once Jake stops in front of the diner I jump out, grab my bag and blow him a kiss. "Thanks Jake! See you later!" I run inside the diner and up behind the counter. I like to take the morning shift for two reasons; 1. There aren't many customers during my shift and 2. I talk and hang out with Anaiya, whom is my other best friend. 

"Hi sweetie." She greets putting down her newspaper.

"Hey." I put my name-tag on and look around. With a quick glance around, I smile and hop up on the counter. "Not many people today."

"Don't get too comfortable, someone sat on your side." She tosses me a notepad.

I pout at her and sigh exasperatedly, "Okay." I grab the notepad and walk back out to the front. I scale the entire diner until I find a guy sitting in one of the booths. I walk up to him, smiling politely. "Hello sir. How are you today?" I ask sweetly staring down at him. He raises his head and I swear when my eyes land on him I'm in a trance.

Holy smokes!! He's gorgeous! 

Without meaning too, I get lost in his eyes. Whoever this guy is, he's easy on the eyes.

I see his mouth moving, yet I cant hear him. His dark brown beautiful eyes stare into my plain brown ones. 

"Hello?... Um, Ms? Are you alright?" Anaiya walks behind me quickly and jabs me in the back, bringing me back to my senses.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I kind of dozed off." I apologize, feeling my cheeks flush in embarrassment.

He smiles at me and I swear I see his teeth sparkle in the light, "It's alright." 

I clear my throat and nod towards the menu, "What can I get you?"

He shakes his head, "Nothing, no thank you."

I raise an eyebrow, slightly perplexed. "Are you sure there isn't anything I can get you?"

He opens his mouth then pauses... "Coffee. Nothing else ma'am."

I can detect a slight southern accent in the way he pronounces ma'am and it makes a little weak in the knees, "Alice. You can call me Alice."

He chuckles, "Alright. Alice..." The way my name rolls off his tongue sounds amazing. "That's a beautiful name." He adds as an afterthought.

"Thank you." My feel cheeks grow even redder and I duck my head to look at my notepad. "Just let me know if I can get you anything." I say walking away. 

When I turn around I still feel like he's watching me.

I walk into the back and find Anaiya standing there smiling like an idiot. "Soo..." she prompts as I go to the coffee pot.

"So what?" I don't even bother looking back at her.

She walks up behind me and whispers in my ear. "He was really hot." I nod in agreement, but cock an eyebrow.

"Why are you staring at me like that though?"

"Because I saw the way you were acting towards him and he with you. You were stuttering and smiling at him like he was the only person here. I had to walk over to you and poke you for you to get back to your senses." She giggles.

I frown at her, "What are you saying?"

"Girl you know what I'm saying!" I return my attention back to the coffee pot hoping my face isn't giving away any emotion. "You like him and I know he likes you!" She says in a sing song voice passing by me.

"Anaiya, I barely know him." I try to reason with her, but she's not having it.

"So you can get to know him." She says encouragingly.

"No, this is going to be the last time I see him. He's a complete stranger to me."

"Not if you don't make the first move."

Shaking my head I leave the room walking back up to the cute stranger. "Here you go sir." I put down his coffee and he lifts his head to look at me.

"Thank you."

"Are you sure I cant get you anything else? Food?" I ask again. For some reason I'm hoping he'll say yes so I can come back and talk to him again. He shakes his head in response to my question. "Just give me a call if you need anything else sir"

"Michael... the name is Michael." He says giving me a shy smile.

"Michael." I give him a polite smile back and walk to the counter to get ready for the day. 

I think I can push Michael out of my mind when he leaves. Although his face and voice will always stay in my memory. You can just forget a face like that very easily. It will take a while for me to forget. But with protective brothers like mine it will be easy, because I have to protect every guy that comes near me. I shake Michael out of my thoughts and get to work.