Ch. 28

.

Alice’s P.O.V
Months Later...

.

“M-Michael… what if he doesn’t like me?”

“What are you talking about Ali? He’s going to love you. Just like I do.” Michael replies after giving me a reassuring kiss. I cant help feeling scared and nervous. I’m already a mother of 4, can I really take on one more? Well I have no choice, I have to do this for Leah. She needs her baby to have a steady, safe environment and if she trusts Michael and I, who am I to say otherwise? I open my mouth to protest against Michael’s words, but he interrupts me before I can start rambling on. He says when I’m nervous all I do is ramble on about nothing. “Alice sweetie, don’t worry. He’s going to love you with all his heart. Your going to be his new mommy. Okay?”

I stare up into Michael’s eyes and all the anxiety and worry seems to slip away as I stare into my true love’s eyes. Reluctantly I sigh, smile and whisper to keep Michael from worrying about me. “Okay.”

I hear the door open and chains being rubbed against the floor. Snapping my head to the side I see Leah limping out of the door with guards behind her and a blue bundle in her arms. She looks so beat up and awful, just seeing her like this enrages me. I growl, but Michael’s hand on shoulder is what is keeping me down. Michael and I stand meeting Leah halfway. I bite my bottom lip and stare down at the new child in her arms. I feel Michael’s arms circle around my waist bring me against his body. I take a deep breath as I feel the oncoming tears start to escape. This is my new son. The new son that Leah is giving me so he can have a good life. I know it must be difficult for a new mother to give away her baby. I can never imagine myself doing that with Noah, Michelle, Emma or Daniel. I don’t know how Leah’s doing it… actually I do.

She loves her baby so much that she will do anything to make sure it’s life is not messed up and ruined. And if giving him away is what she has to do, she’ll do it. “He’s so beautiful.” Michael whispers behind me as I have not yet found my voice as I stare down at the beautiful child in Leah’s arms. It’s true. He is beautiful. He looks so much like Leah, almost an exact replica with her face and skin color. And I bet when he opens his eyes he’ll have her hazel eyes as well.

I want to ask Leah if I can hold him, but I don’t want to take away the last moments she has to hold him. Leah looks up at us with tears in her eyes and whispers a thank you before looking back down at her son. After a couple of minutes one of the guards nudges her in the back. She growls at them, “You promised I would be able to give my son away to it’s new parents. Nowhere in that agreement did you say I was timed.”

“We should not have given you this, but we did. Your one of the lucky ones, now hurry it up.” One of them barks harshly.

“Hey!” I bark at them shaking my head. “Leave her alone, this is her son. Imagine being torn away from your newborn child.” They don’t reply. Leah bends down and plants a long, lingering kiss on the baby’s forehead than looks up at us.

“What’s his name?” Michael asks getting a closer look.

Leah smiles and holds her son closer to her as she tells us his name.”Christopher… Chris Clearwater Royce- Jackson."

I smile sadly in memory of my fallen friend. His son will grow up and Ill tell him everything I know about his father and mother.

She looks down at her son and kisses his cheek again. “Do you want to meet your new mommy and daddy?... Okay, here you go.” Leah sys her voice full of sorrow and also happiness.

She passes Chris off to me and steps back to give her son time to adjust to the new arms he’s in. Little Chris looks up at me with his eyes half open and half closed. I smile down at him and start whispering lovingly, in the same tone Leah used when she talked to him. “Hi little guy… I’m your new mommy.” I can feel tears escaping my eyes, but I don’t care. I’m carrying my new son, I’m allowed to cry.