Ch. 2

.

.

.

On my lunch break I still notice Michael sitting at his table, unchanged from this morning. Is he waiting for someone? He’s been here for a while now.

I turn to Anaiya and say, “Get me the special and put it on my tab. I’m gonna give Michael some food, he’s been here a while.” She gives me a smirk and laughs as she goes back to cook the food. “What was that for?” I ask trying to hide my blush.

“Girl you already know what that was for. You like him.” She sings.

I shake my head and focus my attention back on Michael. He seems very lonely. I’m going to keep him company during my lunch break.

After Anaiya is done with the food I take it and bring it out to Michael with another coffee. I place it in front of him and he jumps as if he was in some trance. His eyes focus on the food than me. “You’ve been here a while,” I begin. “I thought you might be hungry.” Michael reaches into his pocket and pulls out his wallet. “Oh no, you don’t have to. It’s on the house.” He gives me the most beautiful smile I’ve ever seen.

“Thank you that’s very kind of you, but I can pay for it.” He tries, but I don’t let him.

“Nonsense. Is this seat taken?” I ask. He shakes his head and gestures for me to sit. I sit down and watch as he starts to eat his hamburger. I love watching his lips move when he chews. He’s got very full red lips that are very beautiful to watch. He’s so graceful and hisvoice is light and sweet, almost like an angel. I’ve never heard anything like his before and captivates me.

“So… are you waiting for someone?” Michael shakes his head and takes a sip of his coffee before answering.

“I’ve got no where to go.” He replies. He doesn’t sound sad or anything, he just sounds hollow. Which is worse.

“No where?” He shakes his head. “Well…” I start thinking. “Hold on one moment.” I tell him standing up. “I’ll be right back.” He nods and I walk away pulling out my phone. I dial Jacob’s number.

He answers on the second ring, “Hey Alice!”

“Hey Jake. Can I give you a rain check on that walk on the beach?"

I can hear the cheerful tone dissipate. "Really?"

I bit my bottom lip, "Yeah, something came up.” I tell him sweetly so I dont hurt his feelings.

“Um… sure.” I can sense a hint of disappointment, but Jacob’s really good at hiding his emotions so I’m not sure if that’s it. “Do you still need a ride?” He asks instead of asking why.

“No I’ve got one. Thanks for understanding. I’ll make it up to you, I promise.”

“Okay. See you tomorrow?” He asks.

“Definitely.”

“Bye Ali.”

“Bye Jake.” I hang up and run back over to Michael.

He looks up at me, “Boyfriend?” he asks pointing to the phone.

I shake my head, “Best friend. We were suppose to take a walk on the beach after he picks me up, but I changed plans. Michael, where do you live? Do you live here?”

He blinks before answering, “Here, there, everywhere. I’m just passing by. I actually enlisted into the army. Boot camp starts tomorrow. The bus will be here to pick me up.” I frown.

"Well I have a place in mind I can take you too. That way you don’t stay at the diner all day. You can be out and enjoy the beautiful sunlight. Would you like that?”