Ch. 6

.

.

During second period I lay my head on Jacob’s shoulder and start to doze off. I’m so exhausted! And I don’t understand why. I fell asleep early and woke up late.

Jacob notices after a while and turns to look at me with his eyebrow raised asking what lips can. ‘Are you alright?’

There’s no point in lying with Jake, he’ll know I’m lying and will found out eventually. I shake my head, “I don’t feel well.” I whisper in his ear when our teacher isn’t looking.

He whispers back, “ What’s wrong?”

“A lot of things. I want to go home.” I wince like a small child.

"I'll take you after second period."

“No Jake I cant ask you to-“

“You didn’t,” He cuts me off. “I offered. Now ssh! Before Mr. Carin catches us.” Then he turns his attention back to our teacher avoiding my look of annoyance. He always wins in fights like this, and he knows I hate when he turns his attention away from our discussions.

I do need a ride home, but I was gonna ask Edward or Emmett at lunch, I can tough it out until then. But Jacob would never allow that though, it’s to prove how much he loves which only makes me feel worse.

I will never be able to love Jacob… the love that leads to marriage and children. I can only love him as a friend, a really good friend. One that I would never want to forget and grow apart from, but keep forever. That’s how strong my love for him. But it’s different. There is a difference between my love for Jacob and actually being in love with him. Jacob isn’t in love with me, he cant be because I cant love him back.

When the bell rings Jake grabs my hand when his stuff is packed and pulls me out the door. “Jake this isn’t necessary. Edward or Emmett can take me at lunch. What would your father say if he knew you ditched third period just to take me home?” I try to reason with him.

“He’ll be very fine with it considering it’s for a good cause.” Jacob says smiling proudly.

“What good cause? I’m not a good cause, it’s probably just a stomach flu.” I try again, but Jacob wasn’t having it.

“Well I’d rather that you get sick at home then during class and I’m sure you’d much rather prefer that as well.” He’s right. I’d be embarrassed if I got sick in front of everyone.

Sighing I allow Jake to drag me out of the school and into his car. Once we’re driving on the freeway I allow my mind to wander.

.

A Week Later

.

I walk out of the bathroom to a concerned Jacob. I rush to assure him, “It’s fine, just got a little sick that’s all.”

“Maybe we should ask your father to take a look at-“

“No! We cant have daddy take a look at me!”

“I know your scared of hospitals, but Ali if your sick, I should know. Your family should and definitely you should know that way you can take care of your body.”

“My father CANNOT take a look at me!” I tell him with eyes of fear as they sweep down the empty hallway hoping for no viewing eyes or ears.

“Why not? This has been going on for two weeks Ali. You cant just push this off, you need to get checked.” Jacob says exasperated.

“I do… annually.”

“When was the last time?” I look down avoiding his eyes and question. I don’t get checked annually, I just want him off my back. I don’t want to tell him the truth. I don’t want ANYONE to know the truth because I’m so scared and I’m afraid to disappoint my family especially my father.  Jacob seems to get upset by my lack of response.

“Just drop it Jake, okay? I’m alive and I’m… f-fine.” Jacob raises an eyebrow at me. Damn it! I hate when I stutter! Jacob knows when I lie, stuttering is one of my flaws. Now he knows something is up and he knows I know what is it.

“Alice what is it? Your lying to me and don’t you dare tell me it’s nothing. Your lying and you’ve been lying to me for the past two weeks.”

“I didn’t lie to you for the whole two weeks. Just one.” I whisper quietly.

“What was that?” He asks leaning in closer. I have to tell him or else he’ll tell my family I’m keeping a secret and I’ll be forced to tell all of them. “Wow,” Jacob says pulling away. “I thought we were friends Alice. Best friends, ones that don’t keep secrets from each other.” I look up at him alarmed and scared. Last time he played the ‘friend card’ I didn’t talk to him for a whole month. He avoided me and it scare me to death because I thought I was losing my best friend.

“We are!” I scream desperately as he turns away from me. I cant lose Jacob! Not when I’m in a dilemma like this, I need him with me. He cant leave me too. He’s the only I can trust with this secret. No one else.

“Well?” He asks turning back around to face me.

I sigh and look down the hallways scared for preying eyes. Nevermind, I’m not taking a chance. I grab Jacob’s arm and pull him out to the parking lot and towards his car. “Where are-“

“Just get in the car. I cant tell you here, too many eyes and ears.” I whisper the last sentence getting in the passenger side. Jacob jumps in the driver side and starts the car. When we pull out of the parking lot, a heavy weight seems to get lifted off my chest and I can breathe. I'm in a daze most of the drive, but when we pull up a driveway I see we're at Jacob’s house.

I turn to look at him, “My dad isn’t home.” He explain getting out of the car. Making sure I have my bag over my shoulder I get out of the car and walk to Jacob’s front door. He opens it and I start towards his bedroom. His room and mine are the only places that bring me saneness, plus Jacob’s room makes me feel safe. His house is like my second and mine is his second home. When I open his door I flop down on his bed, not caring how much crap he has on it. Jacob is a messy boy, but right now his messiness calms me.

He follows in after me, sits on the bed and turns to me expectantly. I sigh and reach into my bag. Looking through it I find what I need and pull it out. Jacob’s eyes widen at first sight.

“Alice,” He whispers. “No, your joking.” Jacob shakes his head in denial. I wish I were joking too Jacob. It would make things so much simplier. I want to tell him, but his reaction scares me so much. He’s not angry, or upset, he’s very disappointed and shocked. The kind of reaction I was hoping to stay clear off.

I hand him it and put his pillow over my head. “Did you already…” He whispers trailing off. I nod my head and hear him open the box. I brace myself, tears already spilling out of my eyes and onto his pillow. The box hits the floor a second later and now I know Jake has read what my pregnancy test reads.

Positive.

.