Ch. 11

.

.

A Couple Months Later

.

.

I walk, more like waddle, down the stairs when mom calls my name. “What?” I ask walking into the kitchen. Daddy’s there, but once he sees me, he gets up to leave. I grab his arm on his way out stopping him for second, “You know you cant keep avoiding me. We live in the same house… and I’m still your daughter.” I tell him. It’s been months!

“Yes you are.” He agrees. “and maybe not, but I still don’t understand how you could let this happen? I thought you were smarter than that Alice.” He whispers. He shakes my hand off his arm and walks out of the room. Tears fill my eyes and that’s when mommy’s there. Hugging and comforting me. I don’t wanna be comforted. I want my father back.

Wiping my tears, I push her back slightly and forget about that conversation for now, “What did you need?” She puts a hand on my shoulder and leads me to the counter.

“Jacob’s here.” She tells me.

I nod my head and turn to grab my bag off the counter. “Thanks. I’ll be back before dinner.” Kissing her cheek I walk out of the back door and to Jacob’s waiting car. When I reach it I see him leaning against it waiting for me, “Hi.” I tell him giving my most convincing smile, he doesn’t have to know about what my father said to me. And I don’t want to tell him why I’m upset.

He leans over and hugs me, “How’s my baby today?” He asks as we pull away  and bends down to kiss my belly.

I giggle at the feeling. I never have to pretend anything with Jacob, he always seems to put a smile on my face and a laugh pass my lips. “Good. Just relaxing and… *grunts* Kicking a lot.” I place my hand on my stomach and use Jacob to balance me.

He smiles at me, “Can… Can I feel?” He asks nervously.

I look up at him with an eyebrow raised. “Are you seriously asking me that? He/ she is your son or daughter, of course you can feel. You’re the only person I allow to touch my belly.” It’s true. I don’t allow anyone to touch me. When Rose and Bella ask I say no, when mommy asks I say no. Jacob is the only one because I know, with him, I wont get judged.

His face lights up when the baby presses agai st his hand in greeting. It’s so contagious that I have to smile back. “Let’s go.” He says in a dreamy excited voice. He helps me in the car, then gets himself into the car. And we’re off to his house. Where I can actually have some peaceful time, unlike my own home.

”Alice… Ali, wake up.” Jacob whispers shaking my shoulder gently. I jump awake from my dream. My amazing, awesome, almost realistic dream. It felt so real and I thought it was… I wish it was. Tears fill beneheath my eyes without my permission as I rethink it. Michael and I were walking on the beach hand in hand, no pregnant belly, but a smiling baby girl bouncing in his arms. He was so happy and… so was I. The feeling was so powerful it made it seem like it was real and now that I’m awake I’ve never felt so upset and lonely in my entire life.

“Michael.” I mumble softly.

.

.

.

Just as Jacob’s fingers trace my round belly, like he always does, I close my eyes and relax into his touch. He uses such a soft, delicate touch. I feel so safe and happy. I know, just from first look, Jacob is going to make a great father. This baby is not going to go without love. Jacob will make sure no one will ever hurt our baby. I’ll make sure of that as well. I smile when I feel his lips on my belly.