Ch. 24

"I'm her fiancé."

She smiles up at me and asks me to follow her. Without thinking I start walking with her, but than stop remembering Alice's family. Before I can take another step I turn back to Demetria and Antonio not sure if they should go instead of me.

Alice's mother gives me a smile and nods her head coming up to stand in front of me. I never really noticed how short she is compared to me. She's the same height as Alice. "Go on ahead sweetheart. We'll be right here."

I nod my head and lean down to kiss her cheek softly. "Thank you ma'am."

"Michael what have I said about calling me ma'am, it makes me feel old. Call me... mom. Your part of the family now."

I feel my cheeks grow hot and I smile down at her hearing Emmett and Edward snicker behind me. "Thank you ma-... mom." I correct myself. 

She smiles at me, hugs me tightly than walks off to find the girls. I look over at Antonio who is carrying both twins, and see that he is watching Demi walk off. He looks over at me and shakes his head. "Not ready for you to call me dad yet."

I nod my head and place my hands behind my back. "Understandable sir."

He smiles at me and nods his confirmation. "Go on Mike. She's waiting for you." I turn around and find the nurse halfway down the hallway waiting for me. I walk up to her and apologize for keeping her waiting.

"No problem sir, right this way."

She leads me to the elevator doors and I gesture for her to enter first before stepping in myself. I reach over and press the button before she can and stand still, arms behind my back waiting till we get to the fifth floor. I'm too nervous to speak and I cant really seem to keep a conversation going. The nurse tries to start a conversation, but it ends just as quickly as it started. We ride in silence the rest of the way up.

Not an awkward silence, more of a peaceful silence. When the doors open to the fifth floor I'm tempted to start running, checking every single door until I encounter the one holding my Alice. My sweet, little, innocent, defenseless Alice who couldn't protect herself. I'm at pissed at myself. I should've followed her to the house. I should've been there for her! I should've done something. Not just stay back and act cowardly because I was scared the kids were going to be taken.

If I ever see that bastard again, he will not live to see the light of day again. Instead of doing what I have a strong urge to do, I keep my composure and follow the doctor down the corridor. We turn the corner and walk to the second door on the left. Stopping outside the door she gives me a sad smile, "Before you enter I want to warn you about Alice's condition. The machines inside are just to tell us she is alright. She has very few severe bruises and cuts, but many minor injuries. She's fine, however as a safety precaution I request she be put on bedrest and should not be active at all. You already know the protocols of no sexual activity for 3 months." I look down and feel my cheeks grow hot. I hate when someone, who isn't Alice, says the word 'sex' or 'sexual activity'. It just feels uncomfortable. She seems to notice this and chuckles softly, "No need to be embarrassed. It's alright. Am I missing something?" She asks herself counting down what she just told me. "No sex, bed rest, and no physical activity. Nope that's it. But please do call someone when she wakes up."

I nod my head and watch her walk away before turning back to the door. I was waiting for this moment for a long time and now I cant even seem to push open the door to see her. I'm to scared of what I'll find.

After a couple of minutes I finally get up the courage to open the door and what I see inside makes my heart drop to the pit of my stomach. "Alice..." I whisper stepping inside. She looks so... awful. So hurt, small and helpless. I've never seen her like this before and I'm not sure what to do with the emotions rippling inside me. Tears well up without my permission. I take a deep breath and walk forward towards her bed. "Alice?"

Once I get to her bedside I reach out and touch her hand. It's warn, but a little chilly. I take her hand and it put in between both of mine to warm up it up. I sit down on the chair offered behind me and just stare at her. The most damage done, that I can see, is her face. A black eye, deep cuts, and busted lips. I lean forward and kiss her forehead ever so lightly afraid I'll hurt her. Instead she moans softly starting to stir from her sleep.

Leaning back I stare at her until her beautiful brown eyes are open staring back into mine. I give her a smile and reach out brushing back her hair from her face. "Hi sweetheart." I greet trying a calm approach so I don't scare her. She just stares up at me and all of a sudden begins to cry.

"We have to go!... We have to go before he touches Michelle or the twins... or you! He hurt me, he hurt me so badly. I never want to see him again. Please we have to leave Michael. He said... he said-" She starts hyperventilating. I have to calm her down, this isn't good for her and her heart rate is going off the charts from what I can see.

"Alice, Alice, Alice! Ssh," I reach out and grasp her face tightly in my hands. "You need to calm down It's not good to be this upset. Ssh, take a deep breath and relax.' I take a couple of breathes with her until she finally stopped panting. "Baby, Jacob isn't going to hurt us. Not anymore. I can promise you that. We don't have to leave. Michelle, the twins-"

"My family too! He threatened my family. I cant let them get hurt because I let Jacob into my life. Into our lives." I shake my head and place a finger on her lips to silence her.

After a couple of attempts to continue talking she finally stops and stares up at me waiting. I smile and cup her face bring her into a passionate kiss. She doesn't kiss back at first, she flinches at the touch of our lips meeting, but than relaxes into me. I grip my hands fists thinking about how much Jacob must of hurt her. I pull back and caress her cheek staring at her injuries. My fingers find it's way to her black eye and she flinches when they make contact. I pull back and apologize.

She shakes her head and whispers softly, "Please, don't back away. Touch me... kiss me again. I need to feel your touch right now Michael. I was scared back there. He touched me. He hurt me and I was so scared he was going to hurt Michelle. Michelle was watching the whole thing Mikey and... and I-... I-I'm hurting and..." she starts crying again. Standing up I lay down next to her and she moves so I can fit my entire body with hers. I wrap my arms around hers carefully being aware of all the wires and bandages. I don't want to reopen any wounds. I gently lay my head on hers and start humming to her softly. She tries to  calm herself down, but with no success. I kiss her forehead a couple of times even resorting to whispering comforting words to her. Those usually never work, but it's worth a shot.

After a while she stops crying and just turns her body into mine letting me hold her. I put a finger under her chin and lift her head up to stare into her eyes. I give her a smile and lean down to kiss her. We kiss for what feels like forever and I never want to stop. I love her so much and I don't want to see her hurt.

Soon Alice pulls back and kisses my cheek before resting her head on my chest. "I still don't want to stay here. I don't think it's safe to stay here."

"Baby look at me," She turns her attention towards and leans her forehead against mine. "As long as I'm still breathing he wont touch you nor my kids. Because I love you and I have to keep my family protected at all times." She smiles up at me and whispers ever so softly that I have to lean down to hear her.

"I love you so much."

"I love you too." She leans into my side and cuddles with me until we both fall asleep a moment later.