"The Chinese Prisoner..." Part XII...

Summary: A surprisingly modest Howard has returned to a global hero's welcome after an incredible space feat...But he brought some baggage home...

Disclaimer: All that is Chuck's is Chuck's...

Part XII...

"Bernie..."

She put up a hand... "Unless you're planning to come clean with me, I don't wanna hear it...I tole you, I'm not a fool, Howard...I know there's more than an incredibly beautiful and famous woman putting the moves on my husband here...Though that's a big enough part to get me riled..."

Sigh...Howard rubbing forehead...

"Bernie, you've got to trust me a little longer...And you've already guessed most of what's up...Can't we just leave it at the fact that a bunch of lives are on the line here?...But not mine, I promise..."

"Huh..." glare... "You've risked your life and career and you still are..." arms folded... "And all I'm asking is to know what's going on so I can help..."

Or turn anyone in I have to to save you...She thought...

And...Know why you'd do so much for this woman...Slightly glum look...

"I don't want to get you mixed up in this...But I promise if you can do anything I'll tell you...And it will all be over soon..."

"When the Presidents come...And her family..." Bernadette eyed him...

Oh...Of course...

"That's it, isn't it?...This is all about her family...Flying in from China..."

"Bernie..."guarded low tone... "There's no guarantee our friend outside is the only guy monitoring Lilly..."

"Howard, I'm scared for you...This is how people get killed..."

"No one's going to kill me...Bernie, this is practically a done deal...But it has to be played out..."

"She's a what?...Defector?..." stare...

"Say a prisoner of conscience...And a truly brave person...The real hero here...Who's done things we can't imagine to save a lot of people...And either has to make her break now...Or..."

"It's really that serious?..."

"Yeah...It is..."

Sigh...

"She really is a Catholic...?" slight wry look...

"Oh, yeah...By her mom...Though on her dad's side, Jewish..." smile... "Which oughta explain..."

What?...He eyed her look... "You think we didn't make it to China?..." grin...

Narrow look returned, chuckle...Sigh...

"Well...I can't very well abandon a fellow Catholic girl...Howard?..." she looked over to where Lilly was discussing "Green Lantern" back issues with Stuart...

"Hmmn?..."

"I'll turn her in if I think you're in danger...I mean that..." hard stare... "I'm not that unselfish...Sorry..."

"Thanks..." smile... "It's nice to know..."

"Just a little longer...Are you sure?...What about after?...The ISS mission?..."

"There'll be considerations...The main thing is to see everyone keeps their end up until arrangements are too far along to be broken...It's all really just a matter of negotiation..."