"The Chinese Prisoner..." Part XVII...

Summary: A surprisingly modest Howard has returned to a global hero's welcome after an incredible space feat...But he brought some baggage home...

Disclaimer: All that is Chuck's is Chuck's...

Part XVII...

"You looked like you were enjoying yourself with Penny out there..." Bernadette, arch look at Howard seated beside her... "Amazingly enough, Penny too..."

"Hey, I'd waited years for her to finally succumb to the acquired taste that is Wolowitz..." he grinned...

"Yeah..." mock grimace... Sudden bright beam and wave as Leonard and Penny passed...Leonard attempting to follow her lead...

"Just watch how far that taste is acquired, you..." return to mock frown...

"Certainoir, madam..." slight bow... "Geesh, look at Sheldon..." he indicated Sheldon maneuvering Amy on the floor... "I begin to think that there is hope for that guy..."

"You did a good thing when you found Amy for him..." she smiled... "And joke or no, I'll choose to believe there was a genuine desire to help there..."

"I think it was the challenge that appealed to Raj and me...To actually manage to pair Sheldon up with any other living creature..."

"I think they're gone make it...He'd've been alone, his whole life, once Leonard left...You saved him too, you know...And Amy..." warm look...

"You're too good for this world, Bernie, let alone me..." he sighed... "How can I ever live up to this?..."

"Just sayin' it like it is...You're a good man, Wolowitz..." she hugged him, eyeing him carefully... "And it's time you accepted it and stopped telling yourself otherwise...You are a good and brave man..."

"Must be so...If you can tolerate me...Is Raj still off with Lilly?..."

She glanced back to the table where Raj and Lilly sat...Where just now a couple of patrons had recognized the First Lady of Space and Lilly was smilingly signing autographs...Raj carefully maintaining friendly smile, nodding to the eager group striving to decide if he was "anybody"...

"Yep...And likely to be listed as her new main man on ET or one of those things..." she noted, motioning for him to look... "You're in danger of replacement on the tabloids, HW..."

"That would be nice...Don't ya think?..."

"If he were the one going next month with her, I'd be planning the wedding..." she smiled... "But..."

"I won't blow it, Bernie..."

"I believe you...I'm just nervous about how I'll deal with it...And I still want that talk with your old e-pal..."

"Uh-oh..." he ducked a bit... "We've been spotted..." As several members of the growing group clustered about Raj and Lilly glanced their way...A couple tapping their partners' shoulders and pointing...

"Price of fame, sweetie..." she grinned... "Grin, bear it, and try to keep that signing hand flexible...All for NASA and NASA for ...NASA...Speakin' of which...Will they keep the deal?..." she eyed him...

"The Chinese or?..."

"Either...Once everybody gets what they want...But will NASA and the feds make sure she's ok?...And her family...?"

"If we don't, I'll blow the thing wide open..." he noted...

"Good..." she nodded... "I don't hate her, Howard...I want you to help her...I just..."