Chapter 23 - Frightened

Aspen's POV

"What happened? Oh my goodness!" Elva shouted in panic as she approached us.

I scooped Serena up in my arms bridal style and carried her towards the exit. She was still crying in my arms, her hand on her stomach.

"It hurts." She murmured, sobbing.

"What happened to my daughter?" Uncle Dan approached us as he asked in panic.

"I heard noises. Then I saw her laying on the floor in front of the stairs. She must have fallen down stairs." Elva replied, crying.

"Aspen, what happened?" My father asked anxiously.

I didn't answer. Now I was just thinking about Serena and the baby. Our baby. Damn! She is pregnant. She is carrying my child. My own flesh and blood.

"Open the door." I shouted at a valet beside my car as I approached the car.

My father rushed towards my car and opened the door quickly. I placed her on the back seat carefully.

"My baby." She sobbed and gritted her teeth in pain.

My father's eyes widened as he looked at me in shock. I ignored his gaze.

"Don't worry. Nothing will happen to our baby." I assured her as I placed my hand on top of her hand on her stomach. She didn't say anything. She was still crying.

When I wanted to get in the car, my father stopped me, grabbing my arm.

"Give me the key. I will drive. You don't look fine." My father said firmly.

I nodded and handed him the key without insisting. He was right, I couldn't drive now. I felt bad; my heart tightened, my hands were trembling.

Then I got in the car and placed Serena's head on my lap, stroking her hair while holding her hand. She was still crying.

As soon as we arrived, I got out of the car and carried Serena inside.

"Help!" I shouted.

The nurse rushed towards us, bringing the stretcher. I placed Serena on the stretcher and held her hand.

"What happened?" The nurse asked.

"She fell down the stairs. Please, help her. She is pregnant." I replied.

I was pacing back and forth in front of her room. Is she fine? And the baby? If something happens to them, I will never forgive myself. It is all my fault. I slammed my fist into the wall.

"Calm down, Aspen." My father said as he placed his hand on my shoulder.

" My father said as he placed his hand on my shoulder

"How, Dad?! The baby...is mine." I said, gripping my hair and leaned against the wall.

"I guessed. Mike told me he saw both of you in the horse riding club, and you were dating." My father confessed.

"Yeah. We bumped into Aunt Barbara and him." I mumbled.

"What happened? Did you argue?" My father asked.

"Carolina pushed her." I replied.

I clenched my fist as I remembered Serena laying on the floor in pain.

If something happens to them, I will kill Carolina. I swear.

"Carolina Barnes?" My father asked, confused.

I sighed, running my hand through my hair. "Yeah. She hit her shoulder, pushing her. Serena lost her balance and fell down the stairs." I replied.

"Why? And how is Carolina involved in it?" My father asked, puzzled, rubbing his nape.

"Serena saw Carolina and me kissing." My father's eyes widened in shock. "More correctly, Carolina kissed me. When I pushed Carolina back, I saw Serena. I ran after her. I wanted to explain to her that she kissed me, not me. But then Carolina came after us and blurted out that...." I paused, breathing deeply. "I used Serena to keep my relationship with her in secret."

My father looked at me, shocked. "Is it true?... Carolina and you?" He asked, looking into my eyes. I sighed and nodded.

"Oh my goodness. What the hell is with you?!" He snapped at me, running his hand through his hair. "You are in a relationship with a married woman. And if that isn't enough, you used Serena, involving her into this..." He paused, trying to find a suitable word. "Mess. Moreover, you knocked her up." My father hissed, shaking his head in disapproval.

"I know, Dad. I acted like a real bastard. I regret it. But I fell in love with Serena. I love her. I broke up with Carolina as I understood I love Serena. But she didn't understand it, she kept calling me, trying to get back together." I explained.

"Did you know about the baby?" He asked.

I shook my head. "No, she didn't tell me.... She didn't tell me, because we broke up." I replied.

"Hold on! I can not catch all these things anymore." My father shook his head, confused. "If you love Serena, why did you break up with her then?" He asked.

"Because not to hurt her so much. William and Elva warned me that if I continued this relationship, she would be heartbroken. I knew it too, but I couldn't break up with her. I didn't have the heart. But after talking to Elva, I thought they were right. So I decided to break up with her." I explained.

"Where is Serena?" Uncle Dan asked as our families rushed towards us. Uncle Mike and his family followed them.

"In the room. The doctor is checking up on her." My father replied.

"What have you done to my daughter?" Uncle Dan asked angrily as he rushed towards me and grabbed my collar.

"Nothing. I swear. How can I do it to her?!" I said.

"Dan, calm down. He didn't do anything. Carolina Barnes pushed her." My father said as he pulled Uncle Dan back.

"What? Why?! What the hell is going on?" Uncle Dan snapped, confused.

"I..." The doctor walked out, interrupting me.

I approached him as I asked. "How is Serena?"

"Fortunately, her condition is normal now."

I breathed deeply, relieved. "How is the baby?" I asked anxiously.

"The baby?" Uncle Dan snapped, puzzled.

I ignored curious eyes and whispers as I looked at the doctor, waiting for his answer, worried.

"Fortunately, amniotic fluid protected the baby. Ms. Evans is lucky that she is in her first trimester. Otherwise, it would be dangerous for the baby." He said.

I smiled, relieved. Thank God!

"Can I see her?" I asked.

"Yes, but just five minutes." The doctor said. I nodded.

"Thank you." I said, smiling.

When I wanted to go inside, Uncle Dan grabbed my arm and punched me in the face. I lost my balance and fell down.

"Dan!" My father shouted and grabbed his arm, pulling him back.

"You bastard!" He shouted, pointing his finger at me.