2

Shi Sheng and Mrs Nangong only came back downstairs together when the party was about to officially begin. Nangong Jing had long left, he was probably more concerned about his Su Yiyi.

Shi Sheng wasn’t a big fan of dealing with social niceties but in this circle, this was quite unfortunately, a necessity.

“Miss Xu is getting prettier every time I see her. Young Master Jing is truly fortunate, unlike those little rascals of ours who haven’t even shown any signs of wanting to settle down.” A dignified looking lady said, her face full of envy as she looked at Mrs Nangong. Her words were immediately joined in by the sounds of agreement from the other ladies.

“Now we know getting them engaged to a good daughter-in-law early on is a must.”

“*sigh* That also depends on the person. Look at that one from the Lin family, weren’t they also engaged since they were young? And the result? They’re arguing every day and disrupting the peace in their own household. Aye, I’m not talking about Miss Xu. Miss Xu don’t take it to heart.”

‘Bitch you tried to be snarky. You think just because you said it subtly no one could hear it?’

Shi Sheng gave a perfunctory smile though her eyes were filled with impatience. Had she not already been in the car outside she wouldn’t have bothered coming in.

‘If three women are already so bothersome… someone get me out of here before more join in!’

“Auntie, my dad has arrived so I’ll just head over to fetch him.” Seeing Xu Chengyue’s – now her – father, she immediately took this convenient excuse to escape.

These people had everything, money and power. Their only remaining past time was comparing how well they did with their peers. They would compare their fathers, their husbands, their children, it was as if being slightly superior made them more respectable.

“Daddy.” Shi Sheng walked over to her father and spoke in a warm voice.

“You came here so early but why don’t I see you with Ah Jing?” Her father scanned her surroundings and upon noticing the distinct lack of Nangong Jing’s presence, couldn’t help but grow doubts.

“En, he’s busy.” Shi Sheng’s smile turned more honest. “Why didn’t mommy come?”

“There was a last-minute emergency at the company so she went there to resolve it. When did you learn to be so concerned about us? I was beginning to think the only one you cared about was your little fiancé!” He joked with a jovial face. It could be seen how much Xu Chengyue had been doted on by her father.

“People grow up.” Shi Sheng blinked.

“Okay, okay, our little girl has finally grown up.”

‘The soul has already been switched out, of course there’s a difference!’

One of Xu Chengyue’s wishes was to be filial to her parents so that was what Shi Sheng would do.

Her father took her to propose a toast to the star of today’s party {Reminder: Mrs Nangong} before bringing her around to introduce her to people. Xu Chengyue’s father found his daughter to be exceptionally obedient today, causing him to feel pleased and think inwardly, ‘She really has grown up.’

Shi Sheng was filling a bit light-headed from the wine she drank so she excused herself and went to the garden to clear her head.

The Nangong family’s garden was very big. Shi Sheng found a spot to sit down. Feeling the cooling night wind, her mind cleared quite a bit.