Chapter 5

~ Not Edited ~

Silver drummed her slender fingers against the smooth, reflective metal desk sat before her as she waited impatiently for Phil and Director Fury.

It had been six months since New Mexico and life on the Hellicarrier was uneventful.

A dull click echoed off the walls of Fury's bland office signalling his arrive.

"Ahoy, Director!" Silver swivelled in her chair to greet the new arrivals with a delicate hand covering her left eye as the right dropped into a wink.

Phil tried to keep a straight face but couldn't hide his smile while the Director simply rolled his eye.

Fury had learned a long time ago that Silver was best left alone, he disapproved of her attitude at times but she was a great agent and the daughter of his closest friend so he let it slide, something he did for no one.

"I have a new assignment for you that requires the utmost discretion." The Director stated from his brown leather desk chair as Silver accepted a manilla folder from Phil and began to read the classified details of Project Pegasus.

~~~~

Having worked on Project Pegasus for the past few weeks Silver had learnt that most found the constant pulse of endless blue light from the seemingly harmless cube to be quite troubling, as if the pulses were the ticks of a bomb just waiting to blow.

Her foot tapped and fingers drummed to an imaginary beat, in time with the Tesseracts pulse as she overlooked the operation from her position in the rafters. Barton isn't the only one with a love for heights.

For the past hour, a persistent hum had continued to buzz through the facility alarming all its occupants.

Silver had materialised beside Dr Selvig with a perplexed expression, circling the cube curiously as their impatient wait for the Director came to an end.

The cube sparked sending a vibration throughout the entire S.H.I.E.L.D base.

The humming increased tenfold as the Tesseract continued to spark before a beam of blinding blue light burst from the cube.

Everyone looked on in astonishment as a gaping black hole began to form. A surge of light swallowed the room momentarily, the power from the portal building to an unstable peak.

A crouching figure materialised as the light seeped away. Four agents moved in, guns raised as Agents Barton and Coulson flanked the Director.

Rising to its full height the figure was easily identified as an armed man dressed in leather.

“Sir, please put down the spear!” Fury ordered. Silver tensed as the man raised the weapon and fired at the Director, barely missing as Clint and Silver tackled him out of the way.

All hell broke loose as the Director and the two lead agents went down. Their fellow agents stood no chance as the man lunged, swinging his spear and launching daggers.

With almost all agents down, the man paused before targeting a now solitary Agent Barton.

Silver and the Director looked on with wide eyes as the man pressed his weapon to Clint’s chest, a flash of blue coating his eyes as he placed his gun back in its holster.

“Please don’t. I still need that.” The man turned to the Director, stopping short as Silver appeared a few feet before him, blocking his path to the Director.

His eyes rolled over her leisurely, a slow, wicked grin pulling at his lips as a disapproving huff passed her full lips. "Hello again."

“This doesn't need to get any messier.” She stated almost too calmly.

“Of course it does. I've come too far for anything else. I am Loki of Asgard and I am burdened with glorious purposes."

 “Loki? Brother of Thor.” Selvig questioned, angering the man further.

 “We have no quarrel with your people.” The Director spoke up, trying to defuse the situation.

“An ant has no quarrel with a boot.”

“You plan to step on us?” Silver tried to reel in her anger as an all too familiar chill coated her skin causing her hair to stand on end. Loki took notice of her anger and slight shift in temperature.

“I come with glad tidings of a world made free.” Loki explained, striding to stand between Silver and Selvig.

“Free From what?” The question hung in the air.

“Freedom,” Silver raised a sceptical eyebrow. “Freedom is life’s greatest lie. Once you accept that, in your heart, you will know peace.”

 Silver clenched her jaw in restraint, blowing a chilling cloud of breath through her teeth as Loki turned on Erik and repeating the same process as with Clint.

“You say peace. I kinda think you mean the other thing.”

“Sir Director Fury and Agent Coulson are stalling. This place is about to blow. Drop a hundred feet of rock on us. He plans to bury us and have Silver take him out of here just in time.”

“Spoil sport.” Silver mumbled as Clint spoke the truth.

“He’s right. The portals collapsing in on its self. We've got, maybe two minutes before this goes critical.”

“Well then.” Loki looked to Clint who raised his gun and shoots at Silver. She vanished in a puff of grey smoke.

With Silver no longer in the bullets path, it hits Fury, causing him to drop the case containing the Tesseract.

The trio evacuated from the room quickly. Silver materialised before the Director and began to check his wound only to realise as he pushed her hands away that the bullet had lodged its self within his bullet proof vest.

Fury radioed Agent Hill after ordering Silver to go after Loki.

Running through the door way to the loading yard, Silver dropped into a slide, narrowly missing the flying bullets aimed at Maria.

Looking to Maria as Clint raced off through the building Silver vanished taking off after the stolen S.H.I.E.L.D pick up.

Silver continued to vanish and materialise, gaining on the speeding truck containing Loki.

Loki spotted Silver only to realise it was too late as she materialised on the back of the pick-up, her fist colliding with his jaw followed by a kick to the sternum.

Loki quickly grew frustrated in his weakened state as Silver continued to avoid his attacks by vanishing.

Finally feed up he managed to get her pinned against the truck’s cab.

Before she had a chance to de-materialise, a dagger appeared in Loki’s hand which he embedded in her shoulder blade with a wicked grin.

Silver gasped in pain, glaring daggers into his dull and weary green eyes.

“You will be of great use my dear.” She struggled but it was no use as Loki pressed his sceptre to her chest, her glittering silver orb turning a luminous blue.

Loki caressed her cheek as her body relaxed under his control, a victorious grin stretching across his thin lips. “Welcome my dear.”

Marvelously_Loki.