Chapter 16

~ Amethyst Eyes ~

~ Chapters 16 ~

~ Not Edited ~

“I’m Agent Grant Ward and I could rupture your spleen with my pinky, blindfolded.” Jemma’s voice dropped as the lab broke into fits of laughter. A genuine smile pulling at Silvers lips as Fitz and Simmons continued to imitated Ward.

The chuckles stopped suddenly as the side entrance door to the lab hissed open and Ward entered. “Hey, hustle up and grab your gear, we’re on a mission.” He ordered, brows furrowed as everyone tried to suppress their giggles. “Something funny?”

Skye shook her head as Fitz refused to make eye contact. “Poor silly Fitz,” Simmons improvised, handing Ward the night-night gun. “He mistakenly left a dummy round in the pistol. It should be proper now.”

He eyed Simmons with suspicion as he accepted the gun. “Great, thanks.” He tested the gun and handed it back.

Another round of laughter filling the room as he left.

~~~~

“Troop leaders name was Adam Cross.” Phil explained as they entered the camp site. “Apparently he said he heard something in the woods, went to check it out and that’s where the electrostatic anomaly occurred.”

“What I don’t get is that they are usually caused by an electrical storm.”

Simmons didn’t miss a beat as she continued for Fitz. “But there wasn’t a storm within a thousand miles of here last night.”

“This anomaly is different.” He informed the two curious scientists. “It has a side effect we’ve never seen before.”

“I don’t get it.” Skye threw her hands in the air as she shadowed Ward. “Seems to me that this electroshock thingy, was some freak lightning strike. So why call us? What’s the big- oh never mind.”

Bubbling with excitement and curiosity, Skye rushed into the field where the body of Adam Cross floated in mid-air.

“FitzSimmons? Any idea what could cause an effect like this?” The two began to talk over each other, explaining things that Phil just didn’t understand. “Time, let’s try that again. Any idea what could cause an effect like this?”

“No.”

Silver shrugged and shook her head a Phil looked to her for an answer.

“Looks to me that we are dealing with some freak natural event or a new high-tech weapon.” Ward threw in his two cents as he brushed up beside Silver.

“Or could it be someone from your super-secret Index?”

“There’s no one on the index with this type of power.” May glanced over her shoulder at Skye.

“That we know of.” Silver added.

“Fitz, see his forehead. Look at the discoloration.” Simmons stepped closer to the floating body.

“Yeah, it’s the same dispersal pattern as the truck.”

“Could it be an entry wound that closed immediately?” A spark ignited from the diseased body as Simmons looked closer at the wound, the body falling to the ground with a thud.

“Freaky.”

~~~~

“Adam Cross. Single, no kids. Born in Wrigley, Pennsylvania.” Skye reported as Phil and Ward entered the briefing room.

“Occupation?”

“Physical education teacher at the local high school, baseball coach, troop leader and volunteer firefighter.” She continued. “This guy makes Captain American look like the dude.”

“What about a criminal record, restraining order? Something to give us a suspect.” Silver broke the awkward silence caused by Skye’s Captain America comment as she flicked her fingers across the table screen full of information.

“Not even a parking ticket. I scanned all his posts for an angry ex or super stalker but he’s clean.”

Wards eyes narrowed. “Everyone’s clean on their first go around.”

“Ward’s right, we’re missing something. The two of you dig deeper.” Phil gestured to the two women and waited for them to leave before turning to Ward. “You’ve been pretty tough on her.”

“She lied to us,” Ward seethed. “contacted the Rising Tide while we were on a mission. If she wants our trust back, she has to earn it.”

“The background check she done on Cross is enough for now.” Phil stressed. “Put it up on the server, I want May to look at it when she’s done with her interrogation.”

“So you and Ward huh?” Skye nudged Silver as they entered the empty lab.

“Excuse me?”

“Oh come on! He has been all over you all week!”

Silver doubled over in laughter at the observed accusation. “You’re insane!”

“How can you not see it?” She huffed. “Isn’t it a part of your training to be able to read people?”

Silver shrugged her confirmation as she traced the two intertwined snakes absentmindedly.  “Yeah but this is Ward we’re talking about, he’s all work and no play with the emotions of a rock.”

“Or you’re blind to what’s in front of you because your heart is somewhere else.” She gestured to Silvers marked arm.

Silver chuckled halfheartedly shaking her head. “I could never.”

“Why not?” Skye stressed.

Her eyes flickered to Phil as he stood by Lola talking to May. “Loving him would mean betraying Phil and that’s something I refuse to do.”

Fan, Comment, Vote!

Marvelously_Loki