Chapters 14

A/N: I'm so so sorry for the two - three week long wait! I'm in the middle of packing to move and if that isn't hectic enough I misplaced my writing books in the midst of it all but here it is, Chapter 14 Silver Lining. It's a short chapter and I'm not very happy with it but I hope you guys enjoy it at least a little. :)

~ Not Edited ~

The lab sizzled with tension as Tony and Bruce participated in a verbal ping pong match about a S.H.I.E.L.D file that Tony had hacked into and what he wished to do with the information he had found.

"You can't just throw things like this out there Tony!" Bruce shouted. "This kind of thing ruin people's lives!"

Steve looked between the two with increasing concern as a green hue coated Bruce's skin.

The doors to the lab hissed open as Amethyst entered followed by a grumbling Silver, who had been sent back to the tower by Phil.

Phil was concerned about her black out and burning that had occurred prior and hoped that the Banner and Stark could shine some light on the matter.

With a handful of ice cubes held to her forehead, Silver stepped between the arguing in pair and thrusted her arm into Tony's line of vision. "Get this thing off me now."

The self-proclaimed genius hesitated for only a moment, his quick witted remarking frozen on his tongue as he met Silvers gaze.

"Welcome back." A gentlemanly smile pulled a Steve lips as he greeted her. Bruce echoed the welcome with a tight smile of his own, his eye betraying the secrets he fought so hard to hide.

Silver breathed a sigh of relief as the iridium bracelet fell from her wrist and a cold chill coated her skin.

"Now, why are you in my tower?" The hostility in Tony's voice caught everyone by surprise.

"Don't Tony." Bruce warned.

"Don't what Bruce?" He played innocent. "Don't tell Silver that she's an Oscorp slash Haydra lab experiment?"

The air grew thicker by the second as the room fell silent.

"How much have you had to drink Tony?" Amethyst tried to laugh off Tony's accusation.

His honey orbs narrowed in on the Amethysts before he threw his head back with a full bellied laugh, void of any humor. "You know!" He jabbed an accusing finger in her direction.

Tony's face was red with mirth and both Bruce and Steve were turning green for entirely different reasons.

"What is he talking about Amethyst?"

"I-" Amethyst stuttered and stumbled for the right words to say. "I didn't want you to ever find out."

"Find out what?!" The labs temperature dropped dramatically and Amethyst couldn't bear to meet Silvers gaze.

"J.A.R.V.I.S!" Tony growled. A hollow screen lit up before Silver containing file after file of information.

Her vision blurred as she blinked back tears, her head spilling as she tried to process all the information before her.

"Amethyst was adopted in 1992 by a genetic specialist whom worked under the table for Oscorp." A faded photo of a couple in their mid-twenties holding a young girl with purple eyes appeared on the hollow screen alongside Amethysts adoption papers.

"The man that adopted Amethyst was Richard Schmidt, grandson of Johann Schmidt aka-"

"The Red Skull." Steve's whisper echoed throughout the room.

"Like his grandfather, Richard was trying to recreate the super solider serum." Tony drawled with boredom.

"He believed that Amethyst genetic makeup was perfect to do just that but his wife refused to let him experiment on her." Bruce continued gently, his voice dripping with sorrow.

Silver breathed a shaky breath as she tried to hold herself together for she knew what was coming next.

"He tried to duplicate Amethysts DNA into another fetus but failed countless times. In a last ditch attempt, somehow he got his hands on Caps DNA, combined it with Amethysts and doused the fetus in gamma radiation." Tony explained

"And it worked." Bruce concluded, still astonished that it had in fact worked.

"And here you are!" Tony chimed with false excitement, his arm held out as if presenting her.

"Here I am."

~~~~

Phil opened the door to his office, relived and tired after a stressful days work.

He was startled to see Silver lounging in his chair. "You're back. We sorted everything out with Akela, she's to be trialed in a month or two and I plan to testify." He loosened his tie.

"How'd things go at the tower? Did Stark and Banner figure out what was going on?"

He caught what remained of the iridium bracelet as it was hurtled in his direction. "Silver." A disapproving sigh passed his lips.

"Did you know?" Her voice was deathly calm, void of emotion.

His brows pulled together in confusion. "Wha-"

"Did you know!?" The chair fell to the floor with a thud as she stood, slamming her hands down on the desk and sliding the bursting file across to Phil.

Phil reached for the file cautiously as he watched Silver with worry. He'd never seen Silver in such a state, she was always cool, calm and collected, opting to laugh things off rather than let them get under her skin and fester.

He slid into the chair opposite Silver and opened the folder, his eyes widening with terror and disbelief with every page he turned.

His face fell into his hands as he closed the file, a moment passed before he dared to look at the broken woman before him.

A single tear cut a path down her cheek as she looked into his eyes, her voice a mere whisper. "Did you know?"

"No." He caught her as she collapsed in tears, broken whispers of apology heard between her sobs.

He cradled her head against his chest, the way he had when she was a little girl.

His fingers curled around her chin, forcing her to meet his stern yet loving gaze. "This doesn't change anything. You're still an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D, you're still an Avenger but most of all you're still my little girl, my little Silver lining."

Please fan, comment and vote.

Marvelously_Loki