Chapter 7

~ Not Edited ~

Amethyst and Steve walked in to Bruce’s lab just in time to see him being prodded by Tony. “Hey! Are you nuts?” Steve exclaimed still clad in his uniform, minus the helmet and shield.

Amethyst left the two men to argue over Starks childish behaviour as she made her way over to Bruce and participating in idol conversation, though they were soon interrupted by Tony. “Your tip-toeing big man, you need to strut.”

Amethyst decided to speak up and end Starks fun. “And you need to focus on the problem at hand Mr Stark.” Tony rounded on Amethyst, something was eating away at the genius and he couldn’t stand not knowing.

“You think I’m not? Why did Fury call us in, why now, why not before? What isn’t he telling us? I can’t do the equation without all the variables.”

Steve turned to the small women, his eyes calculating as he took Tony’s words into consideration before turning back to face him. “You think Fury’s hiding something.”

“He’s a spy Cap, he’s the spy. His secrets have secrets. It’s bugging him to, isn’t it?” The three turned to face Dr Banner who hesitated.

“Doctor?” Amethyst questioned, curious to hear Bruce’s opinion on the matter.

Bruce hesitated again, looking at the people before him in turn before answering. “A warm light for all mankind, Loki’s jab at Fury about the cube. Well, I think that was meant for you.”

Banner gestured to Tony who offered the doctor a blueberry which he took before continuing. “Even if Barton and Coulson didn’t tell Loki about the tower, it was still all over the news.”

“The Stark Tower? That big ugly-” Amethyst covered her mouth gently, trying and failing to suppress a giggle as Tony glared at the Captain, cutting him off. “Building in New York?”

All eyes turned back to Bruce as he continued to explain his theory. “It’s powered by an arc-reactor, a self-sustaining energy source. That building will run its self for what? A year?”

 “It’s only a prototype. I’m kind of the only name in clean energy right now, that’s what he’s getting at.”

“So why didn’t S.H.I.E.L.D bring him in on the Tesseract Project. What are they doing in the energy business in the first place?” The conversation reminded Amethyst of a Ping-Pong match, going back and forth between Bruce and Tony.

“In a few minutes I will know every dirty secret S.H.I.E.L.D has ever tried to hide, blue berry?” Amethysts eyes widened, he would have access to all their files.

Tony noticed her momentary loss of composer. “And why do you look so worried about that?” His tone was cocky, taunting, drawing Bruce and Steve’s attention to the wide-eyed women.

Amethyst swallowed the lump in her throat before turning and making her way out of the lab. “Just find the cube.”

~~~~

After escaping from the lab, Amethyst made her way back to the surveillance room where she found both Thor and Phil. When she reached the two men their conversation came within hearing range. “When I first came to earth, Loki’s rage followed me here, now again. In my youth I courted war.”

The pain in his voice was evident, not only was he saddened by his brothers action but also the threat he posed to earth and the women he loved.

“War hasn’t started yet Thor.” Amethyst tried to comfort the man she found herself falling for with her words and by placing a gentle hand on his bicep, just now realising how small she was compared to his large form.