Chapter 17

~ Amethyst Eyes ~
~ Chapters 17 ~

~ Not Edited ~

“Waylon, our second victim and Cross are both volunteer firefighters at the same station and were part of the response team when the Chitari invaded New York.” Silver informed the team from the back seat of the SUV as they raced towards the aforementioned fire station.

“Maybe that has something to do with why they were killed?” Skye’s voice flowed through the cars speakers.

“Or how.” Ward shifted beside Silver as his thigh brushed hers.

“You mean an alien weapon?”

“It is possible.” Silver was oblivious to Wards struggle as she tried to force away the memories of the green-eyed demigod that were invading her mind.

“We need to get to the fire house before we have another victim on our hands.” Phil, Silver and Ward filed out of the car as May pulled up in front of the fire house. “Evening gentleman, Agent Phil Coulson of S.H.I.E.L.D. We were on the ground with you in New York.”

“S.H.I.E.L.D, right. What’s this all about?” The head of the fire department questioned defensively.

“We’d like to ask you a few questions, take a look around.” May, Silver and Ward split up to search the premises.

Phil explained the situation and informed the men of the deaths of their fellow firefighters.

“What do you mean Frankie’s dead?” One of the men questioned in disbelief.

“Do they know how it happened?”

“The same way your other friend, Mr. Cross died the day before.”

“Which was how exactly?” The same man pressed further.

“I’m sorry,” Phil’s eyes narrowed. “What was your name again?”

“Tony, Tony Dease.” He replied, sweat running down his brow.

“Are you okay Mr. Dease?”

“I’m actually not felling so hot.” Mr.’ Dease backed out of the room.

“Cover the back door.” Phil reached for his com. “No one comes in or out.” He followed Mr. Dease into the back room where Mr. Dease was looking around the room suspiciously.

“That humming noise, do you hear that?”

“No, I don’t. Were you in New York with Mr. Cross and Mr. Waylon after the Chitari invasion?”

“Come on,” Mr. Dease ignored Phil. “Don’t you hear that? It’s driving me nuts.”

“Mr. Dease, are you with me?” Phil reached for his gun as items began to levitate around Mr. Dease. “Whatever you’re doing, make it stop.”

“I’m not doing anything!”

“Where’s the weapon.” He asked calmly, trying to stabilize the situation before it got out of hand.

“Coulson,” Silver called over his earpiece. “We found it, it’s a Chitari helmet.”

May turned her phone to record, streaming the video directly to FitzSimmons and Skye on the Bus. “Are you seeing this?”

“What are you doing with the helmet?” Phil kept his gun raised.

“What the alien thing? It’s a souvenir!” A surge of electricity sparked on one of the floating tools. “Ah, not again!”

“Answer the question Mr. Dease. What are you doing with the helmet?”

“The first time anyone’s touched it since New York was a couple nights ago.” He complied. 

“Why?”

“It had rust all over it, we were cleaning it.”

“Silver and May don’t touch the helmet.” Simmons ordered franticly over their ear piece. “Sir he’s not using a weapon, he’s infected. I think the helmet was the source of an alien virus.”

“All we did was clean it, I swear. Me, Frankie and Adam.” He explained, sweating profusely. “We were bored on the third shift so we decided to clean it.”

The team arrived behind Phil as realization dawned on his face. “Adam and Frankie…”

“Mr. Dease, I’m putting the gun away now, okay.” True to his word, Phil lowered and holstered his gun before turning to the team. “Clear everybody out.”

“Phil.” Silver hesitated, chewing her lower lip with worry.

“Clear everybody out now.”

She complied reluctantly as Phil closed the door behind her and approached Mr. Dease cautiously.

“I’m going to end up like them, aren’t I?”

“Why don’t you have a seat?” He took Phil up on the offer, settling into a chair. “Do you have any family? Wife? Kids? Is there anyone you want to talk to? Anything I can do?”

“Phil,” Silver stressed her worry evident in her voice. “You have to get out of there now, he’s going to-” He didn’t hear the rest of her message as he removed his ear piece.

“Listen to me.” Phil sat down across from Mr. Dease, trying to reassure him in his last moments. “I have been where you are right now, so please believe me when I tell you; you don’t have to be afraid.”

“Wha-what are you talking about?” He stuttered over his words as the team listened on from outside, Ward stepped closer to Silver, trying to find a way to reassure her as she bounced on her toes with nerves.

His kindness in the last few days was out of the blue and very unexpected. Weeks ago, they couldn’t stand each other and now Silver would go as far as say he was making a move on her, maybe Skye was right? She scowled mentally.

“Your job, it gets dangerous sometimes doesn’t it? Mine too.” He sympathized. “I got hurt once, pretty bad and I, I died. Some say it was only for eight seconds but I know it was more than that. I know I wasn’t here anymore, I was there.”

“What’s it like.” He asked with hope, accepting his fate.

“It’s beautiful.”

A knife on the table began to levitate as his fingers sparked. “You better get going buddy.” He nodded his head to reassure Phil that he would be fine on his own. “Go.”

Phil left the fire house crestfallen, two missions and two men that in the end he couldn’t save.

~~~~

“If what you say is true and this is a virus, that means the other firefighters could be infected and that they will need a cure. Find one.” Phil ordered Simmons as he entered the lab.

“You.” He turned to Silver who was chatting away with Skye in the corner whilst also trying to avoid the surprisingly chatty Ward. “Grab your things.”

“Why?” Her brows pulled together in confusion at Phil out of the blue demand.

The lab fell silent as they all awaited Coulson’s response. “Agent Amethyst is boarding Sir.” May called over the planes com system.

Silvers shoulders slumped with a scowl, where’s Ward? She’d prefer talk to the dull brick that was Agent Grant Ward then Amethyst.

“Stark and Banner have detected something in London.” He explained as a whirl was heard from above, the laches locking into place and securing Amethysts quin-jet to the boarding platform on top of the plane. “Fury wants the two of you to check it out.”

A/N: So I'm at my grandparents for the week and will be moving to the other side of the country in two day so I'm pretty pumped. But I must apologies for any delays with the chapters due to the move so im sorry. :)

Fan, Comment, Vote!

Marvelously_Loki