CHAPTER FOURTEEN

chapter fourteen

chapter fourteen.
le grand guignol

THE TRUTH. SOMETIMES it is good to keep a secret, especially when you know it's going to hurt someone even though it may be eating you up alive. With a vampire, the guilt is heightened and made to feel worse and it was what Esme had felt with the past she had kept hidden for far too long. Eight centuries it had been since she had dead and lost her baby, the centuries where she had hid the truth from Klaus. She did ask herself, if he was ever going to find out? She kept for so long she doubted if it was ever going to come up in conversation which caused her guilt to carry heavily on her shoulders as she sat out on the balcony over her room, looking down at the streets of New Orleans with her knees buried into her chest as everyone went about the day as if hers wasn't terrible.

Elijah had felt like he had been working alone. Where Hayley was missing, and Rebekah and Marcel were in hiding. The only person of help who he knew far too personally was Esme, who he didn't sit on good terms with at the very moment given her outburst the day before but either way he needed her help. Everything had loaded onto him to deal with and what had caused his turn to Esme who's stare had been blocked from the tourists to the original.

She looked awful. Esme's eyes were heavy and her nose was red from the tears she had shed as she spent a night looking through her mother's grimoire as if it was to take her mind off of what happened at the Sanatorium but it didn't. "I'm really not in the best of moods today, Elijah." She told him as her eyes pulled away from her lap to the Mikaelson who was in desperate need of her help. "I-I don't feel like hearing a lecture from you."

"Good cause I don't have time to give a lecture." Elijah retorted. "My brother has a mystical torture device buried in this chest, and the mother of his child is inexplicably missing and the woman he loves has kept a secret from him about their unborn children for eight centuries." He listed causing Esme to sigh before pinching the bridge of her nose. "Esme, Niklaus is incapable of hating the likes of you. And the state he is in. I doubt he'll be up to bicker. Come with me, please."

Elijah had turned away from the Browne towards the doors that led into her bedroom to begin their walk into Klaus' room where he laid paler than usual. Papa Tunde's blade still sat inside him, where the wound had caused redness around his chest and made hm sleep through the night from the intolerable pain that ran through his body. Seeing him peaceful had eased Esme, knowing that with how weak he was he couldn't harm Rebekah and Marcel, it'd take some time for him to rebuild his strength.

Esme's arms crossed over her chest as she studied the hybrid who had been unknown of her presence in the room and unknown to the way Elijah had begun to roll up the sleeve of his suit preparing to retrieve the blade from inside Klaus' body. "You left Papa Tunde's blade in him?" She questioned, guessing it wasn't the smartest choice that Elijah may have made.