CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

chapter thirty-three

fire with fire

FOR A NIGHT where tourists and residences would find themselves dancing along the streets of New Orleans had been interrupted with unexpected rain and thunder that stormed its way over the city. It had always caught Esme by surprise as lightning had flashed and the rain had begun to beat down on those that laughed through the rain as they took shelter for the night that had been ruined by mother nature, that was what they believed. Esme's arms crossed over her chest, watching how the streets had quietened and the way that they had emptied as the rain beat onto the grounds of New Orleans. The Browne had paid attention to the clouded sky that loomed darkness over the city, and which brought her to her questioning if it was how the world worked or if it was Dahlia's given that Hope and Isaac were to be handed over at midnight.

Esme expected to have been unleashed from her room and able to find her son but instead she was still trapped in her room and it seemed that she had been forgotten about. Her sobs had fallen silent but her nose was still red from the tears shred and her eyes still glistened with tears before hearing stomping approaches towards her room that caused her to pull herself away from the window that rain pattered against where droplets would race each other to the moment of the window seal.

Though Esme still stood barricaded in her room, Elijah still had the thought that she was the reason for Klaus' disappearance from the coffin. Someone had undaggered humanoid the pointed blame landed on Esme as if it was the one thing to make sense given that she was far in love with him. "Where is he?" Elijah questioned as he believed that she had an idea of where his younger brother had fled to.

"What?" Esme's brows furrowed confusion.

"Where is Niklaus?"

Esme's shoulders had lifted into a shrug as she had suspected he still laid in the coffin with a dagger pierced through his chest. "Desiccated, downstairs, daggered." She guessed rudely before turning away from Elijah.

"Esme, I am serious. Where is he?"

"I don't know." Esme snapped as she turned back to the face the original. "If you have forgotten, you locked me in my room! I can't leave! I am stuck in here! I also think it's really silly how you think someone who is stuck in a boundary spell would've been able to pull out a dagger from Klaus' chest...downstairs." It was a stupid thought to blame Esme when Elijah had made sure she wasn't capable of pulling the dagger out of Klaus and waking him up.

Elijah's jaw clenched as Klaus missing from the coffin was something in which he had feared. "Someone pulled out the dagger." He realised before he had planned to turn away from the Browne who was expecting to be freed from the boundary spell given that Klaus was missing.

"Wait, Elijah!" Esme called after him as she hurried towards the door. "Klaus is awake and you no longer have to worry about my undaggering him, let me out of here and I can help you find--"